moderated what does 'confirmation' accomplish?

I've noticed that 'NC' appears next to a pending member only if the pending member is not already a member of groups.io at all. If they are already in some other group besides the one they have (presumably) applied to join, there will be no NC next to their name, so it will look as if they have confirmed for *this* group.

So (1) after an application for membership comes in from an email address that's already a groups.io member, is a confirmation email still sent? (2) If it is not sent, what's preventing me (or any other groups.io member) from applying to another group via the web, using someone else's' enail address? (3) If it is sent, how does response to it change either the member's status and/or what the moderator of the group applied to sees?

Sent from my iPhone