moderated Re: Site updates #changelog

Brian Vogel <britechguy@...>

On Sat, Mar 4, 2017 at 11:56 am, Bob Bellizzi wrote:
It's a list we we want members viewing but not copying, it's very  large.

Bob,

        While I understand what you're saying, the file itself does get downloaded behind the scenes for presentation.  A sophisticated computer user can easily determine where that temporary copy of the PDF is stored and then copy and paste it elsewhere.  A really sophisticated user can get around the Adobe protections as well.

         It's going to be downloaded for display no matter how large it is.

         If any one of your members has their browser set up such that PDFs don't display in the browser I know of no way you can prevent them from viewing the PDF in a link that's accessible to them, and that means the file will be downloaded to accomplish that.  Whether they know how to actually save the content such that they can retrieve it later is an entirely separate issue, but if you put it on the web, believe me, it can be saved if someone is determined enough.
--
Brian

To think is to differ.

    ~ Clarence Darrow