moderated Re: another loophole to moderated topic: changing subject line

Brian Vogel <britechguy@...>

On Tue, Feb 21, 2017 at 09:57 am, Mark Fletcher wrote:
Plus, I think that creating new threads via changed subject lines is generally a good thing, no?

 I'll be the contrarian (surprise, surprise):   No.

I have never seen the amount of what I call thread splitting that I've seen on Groups.io on other groups, most of which is caused by someone either intentionally (as in to correct a typo) or inadvertently changing a "Subject:" line.  It drives me insane.  Like J, I have seen instances where a single logical topic/thread has been split into as many as four actual topics/threads because changing the "Subject:" in any way makes it one.

Starting a new thread should not be done with a reply, period, but by creating a new message (and doing a copy and paste if necessary to carry over content from a thread from which it's being spun off).

I know that the above is a non-starter because it requires users to understand the difference between a reply to an existing topic/thread and the creation of a new one.  Something else that used to be considered "a given" if you were on an e-mailing list.  I had been on several where even entering an entirely new subject kept your reply within an existing thread/topic because it could be determined that it was a reply via the message headers.
--
Brian

You can safely assume you've created God in your own image when it turns out that God hates all the same people you do.

    ~ Anne Lamott