moderated Re: Planned downtime next Thursday 2/2/17

On Wed, Feb 1, 2017 at 12:06 AM, Shal Farley <shals2nd@...> wrote:

"... growth continued unabated. We quickly had to begin the neverending cycle of hardware upgrades. The original ONElist box was a Pentium PC running Linux with 32 megs of memory. Laughable by today's standards."

So it's true: "plus ça change, plus c'est la même chose."

The more things change, the more I like to pick memes? I dunno, my French was never that good. But I do like a good cat meme (and they're all good). :-)

There are currently 10 machines in the Groups.io cluster. The main database machine that will be upgraded tomorrow night currently has 8GB memory and 96GB storage. I'll be bumping that to 24GB memory and 385GB storage. This afternoon I'll also be bringing a second web server online.

One of my goals over the next year is to transition some of the backend tech so that I won't have to ever take down the site completely. But I'm waiting on some database software to mature some more.