moderated Re: Event: Site maintenance, Thursday, 2 February 2017 #downtime #cal-invite

Mark,

Brian wrote:
Might this not be something that should show up in each and every
group in groups.io? It seems like it's something that every user
should be aware of. I have seen this notice, and the related post
about planned outage, only on beta.
I concur with Brian. I was thinking that perhaps this calendar entry would be better placed on updates@, as that reaches far more users. Or perhaps there should be a separate list for site status.

I would hope that a mechanism exists for "the Grand Poo-Bah of
Groups.io" [Mark right now and for the foreseeable future] to blast
a message out to each and every group in existence at a given point
in time.
I wouldn't want that posted as a message in my groups, as a group owner I'd find that intrusive. However a status banner on the web pages (all of them), just below the logo bar, might make sense.

For an event like this I don't think an email blast to _all_ users is warranted: the vast majority are unlikely to visit the site during the affected hours anyway. A notice on the site pages would be better targeted.

Shal
https://groups.io/g/Group_Help
https://groups.io/g/GroupManagersForum