moderated Re: Date format settings #suggestion

Brian Vogel <britechguy@...>

It would seem (and I know it may not be in fact) that it would be possible to give a number of "Absolute" date display options on an individual's account preferences page under the "Time Display" option [which really should read Date-Time display option].  Right now the only two options are "Relative", e.g. 5 minutes ago, 3 days ago, or "Absolute," e.g. Jan 13, 2017, 5:33PM.  I'd imagine that the current single "Absolute" has to be controlled "under the hood" by a standard date-time formatting string that most application software or OS date-time functions use.  If that's the case, then expanding the range of "Absolute" style displays in a dropdown should be relatively easy and I'd think that anyone who uses a computer would recognize something like, YYYY-MM-DD HH:MM, versus, YYYY/MM/DD hh:mm.

What could also be used would be relative, as is, and if you picked Absolute then you would be expected to type in your date-time formatting string using a set of explanatory letter combinations shown below, such as HH for 12-hour clock hour versus 'hh' for 24-hour clock hour, etc.  There would be a default, of course, but it could be changed to suit the user perfectly.
--
Brian

I have made mistakes, but have never made the mistake of claiming I never made one.

          ~  James G. Bennet