moderated Re: How on earth does Groups.io thread a topic?

Brian Vogel <britechguy@...>

On Fri, Jan 13, 2017 at 01:48 am, Shal Farley wrote:
Sad that Yahoo Mail is also infected by the same cargo-cult disease. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cargo_cult_programming

 They say that one example of this practice, and listed first, is:  adding unnecessary comments to self-explanatory code.

I must say, I'd give my eye teeth to have seen this done, as my experience as a programmer was the dearth (complete absence, often) of comments in thousands of lines of code, whatever the reason.

I never presumed that code was "self-explanatory" to anyone other than its writer, and even not to him or her after they'd not been actively working with it for an extended period of time.

I only wish that I'd had to deal with the horrors of this specific "scourge" characteristic on a routine basis.
--
Brian

I have made mistakes, but have never made the mistake of claiming I never made one.

          ~  James G. Bennet