moderated Re: How on earth does Groups.io thread a topic?

On Thu, Jan 12, 2017 at 6:12 PM, J_Catlady <j.olivia.catlady@...> wrote:
Unfortunately, this is not working yet in my group. One of the members whose posts always splits threads has created at least two threads with the identical title today. I will send the relevant info to support, but things may change by then because I am merging these threads moment by moment and the conversation is very active...

Watch now as Mark goes on a rant against Yahoo....

I found the problem with J's group. Those messages that weren't threading were coming from Yahoo. They were replies. But the only References header had the Message-ID of that message. But not quite. They added a '.ref' to the middle of that id. Why? WHO THE HELL KNOWS! And it doesn't include the Message-ID of the message it's a reply to. WTF.

We handle the case where the only References ID is the message's own Message-ID. But the extra '.ref' screwed that up, and prevented the rest of the algorithm from working correctly.

We're now handling this correctly. For those keeping track of these things at home, we had a similar problem a year or two ago with Yahoo, except instead of '.ref', they were adding '.JavaMail.yahoo.ref'. I had blissfully forgotten about that, much in the same way I try to forget about the pain of having cavities filled.

<Insert disparaging things about Yahoo engineering here>

Ahem. I feel better.

Thanks for listening,