moderated Re: How on earth does Groups.io thread a topic? BV

Brian Vogel <britechguy@...>

On Thu, Jan 12, 2017 at 04:02 pm, ro-esp wrote:
Or rather, whose lives you want to make easier.

Should we have a poll about it?

 Actually, I think that making someone create a new e-mail message, with a new subject, to create a new topic is not making their lives any more difficult than it is for a web user who has to hit a "New Topic" button and enter all the same information, and do any cut and paste from an old thread if they want to create a true new one "the logical way."

It is my sincere belief that one should not be able to create an unintentional new thread, which is usually a split of an existing one rather than an actual spin off, by simply changing the subject - in any way.   It's just too darned easy to make a change to the subject, by even a single character, and I see thread splits of this nature being created with relative frequency, or people treating the subject like it's an extension of the message body and not knowing that changing it has any impact on threading both on the Groups.io web interface and in a number of e-mail clients that support threaded views where subject takes primacy over header information in threading.

As I said at the outset, there is no "right answer" to this and no matter which way Mark might choose to go there will be howls from one quarter or another.

There are times where "the top" needs to set a direction and stick with it.  Right now I fully understand how things actually work and am also seeing, time and time again, the shortcomings of that threading algorithm in the form of thread splits from subject changes that really are not intending this, and are robbing their own contributions of their conversational context both in the web interface and in e-mail clients that give subject primacy in threading.

My position is based strictly on two things:

  1. I see clearly unintended thread splitting through subject changes occurring with greater frequency here than I have ever seen on other forums in which I participate.
  2. It drives me freakin' crazy.

As the old saying goes, "Your mileage may vary."  Those for whom this is true have every opportunity to make their cases on this topic just like they do on a multitude of others.  I've actually been surprised that there hasn't been more chiming in from the beta regulars.
--
Brian

I have made mistakes, but have never made the mistake of claiming I never made one.

          ~  James G. Bennet