moderated Re: How on earth does Groups.io thread a topic? BV

On Wed, Jan 11, 2017 at 9:38 AM, Brian Vogel <britechguy@...> wrote:
Clearly, my assertion that "one must hit 'New Topic' to create a new topic" in the web interface is completely wrong.  I am actually rather shocked that my "subject change" tweak did, indeed, start a brand new topic/thread.

Heh, me too, and I wrote the code....

So, I did put code in a long time ago that looks at subjects and sets a new thread if the subject has been changed even if there are references to an existing thread in the message header. Should I nuke this code? I'm thinking I should nuke this code.

Related question: also as part of that code, if the subject of the thread has been changed (say by editing the thread on the website), we re-write the subject line of the message with the changed subject of the thread. Keep that? I'm inclined to say yes, to be consistent with the fact that when someone edits the subject of a thread on the website, we go into the archives and re-write the subject line of all the existing messages.