locked Re: The case for social logins

I would never use so-called ‘social logins’. If people want that sort of thing, then by all means have it available to them, but don’t let’s all have to suffer it to the exclusion of a proper login. Those of us who abhor social media do not want to go down the road of copying the likes of Google and Facebook. The slide of Yahoo Groups into that sort of thing is exactly why we need a home for our Groups away from Yahoo Neo in the first place!

Regards,
Robert.

Sent: Monday, January 26, 2015 1:24 PM
Subject: [beta] The case for social logins

I believe that social logins (ie. login via Google or Facebook) are some of the most important features that this site could have.

  1. Social logins are convenient for users who forgot their password.
  2. Many people use a password manager. If they aren't at their computer, then they can't log into Groups.io.
  3. Social logins reduce the friction in signing up for a site.
  4. Groups.io bills itself as a "modern" alternative to Yahoo/Google groups. Social logins would help create this branding and hence increase the sign up rate.