moderated Re: Font Size variation in body of posts / digests - thoughts? #suggestion

Brian Vogel <britechguy@...>

On Sun, Jan 8, 2017 at 05:19 pm, Shal Farley wrote:
They could compose in plain text instead, as Duane related. In the email interfaces I'm familiar with (including Gmail and Thunderbird) plain text composition and reading use a font and size selected via the settings (options) page.

Well, I suppose they could.  I could also do the same.  That goes against the trend that's decades long now that the default composition and reading modes are generally HTML.

What it comes down to is how much customization individual end users are expected to do in order to create an end result that other end users are demanding (and I don't use that pejoratively).  I can say with utter certainty that, as a general rule, I try to teach blind or visually-impaired individuals to avoid doing any unnecessary customizing, because it makes it incredibly more difficult to use the portable versions of screen readers or third-party magnification software if they find that they need to use someone else's computer and nothing is "normal" when they do.   I used to take precisely the opposite approach, making an individual user's computer "fit like a glove," until I saw firsthand what happened when they had to jump on to, say, a computer lab computer or a friend's computer and do something they could do with ease, but nothing works in the way they're accustomed to because it depended on having tons of stuff customized that typically is not.   It decreases independence and accessibility rather than increases it.

Brian