moderated Re: How on earth does Groups.io thread a topic?

Brian Vogel <britechguy@...>

John,

          Not that I don't get your point, but how annoying is it to have a thousand-post thread entitled "Today's Quote" or "Lunch Menu" or, if it's so unspecific as to be entitled "Office Hours"?  These things are trivial ephemera by their very nature.

          If someone has something of substance to say, and wants to get it out to a broad readership, it's really incumbent on them to choose a Subject/Title that's adequately descriptive and entices folks to read further.

          There are lots of people who don't choose subject lines well.  For the most part, I doubt that many people will cry a river of tears if their posts get glommed on as the most recent on a "perpetual thread" that's likely trivial.

          So far, at least on Groups.io, I'm encountering a far greater issue with broken threading with subject lines very well chosen than I am with inappropriately threading badly chosen and "generic" subjects.

Brian