moderated Re: How on earth does Groups.io thread a topic?

Brian Vogel <britechguy@...>

On Tue, Jan 3, 2017 at 03:38 pm, Duane wrote:
On Tue, Jan 3, 2017 at 03:16 pm, Brian Vogel wrote:

virtually certain
Depends on the group. On a couple of my groups, it's not unusual to get posts with the same subject, but different threads, due to the nature of the groups.

 virtually (adj) - slightly short of or not quite accomplished; `near' is sometimes used informally for `nearly' and `most' is sometimes used informally for `almost'

I realize there are cases where this might not be true, but I'd be willing to bet substantial sums of money that you'd be doing far less thread splitting were things to be lumped together strictly on subject and proximity in time than one now has to do merging because the threading is just so flaky when you have a subject match that was posted in rapid succession after another with the same subject.

I'll err on the side of accidentally keeping a thread as one that the user intended to be split (but didn't change the subject) than accidentally splitting a thread that is actually meant to be a single one when the subject matches, it comes on the heels of others, and other header information is missing.  Fuzzy logic is necessary here, and could be applied.

Life is the art of drawing sufficient conclusions from insufficient premises. ~ Samuel Butler, 1835-1902

The same is true of deciding appropriate threading when there are "insufficient premises."