moderated Re: How on earth does Groups.io thread a topic?

Duane

On Tue, Jan 3, 2017 at 03:16 pm, Brian Vogel wrote:

virtually certain
Depends on the group. On a couple of my groups, it's not unusual to get posts with the same subject, but different threads, due to the nature of the groups.

There are several different things that can cause a thread to split. Most common is when someone changes the subject, even if they then change it back. Another common one is when someone copies the subject to a new message, so there's no "in-reply-to" information. One that some of my members run into is starting a reply, saving a draft, and finishing later. Their email program does something that loses the critical info to maintain the thread. All of the details are in the headers.