moderated Re: Footer placement

Maria

On Fri, Dec 16, 2016 at 08:28 pm, J_Catlady wrote:
To me it boils down to which thing is more important for users to see that they might otherwise skip. In other words, what needs to be most *in their face*.

I think that once a participant sees the footer,  she/he isn't going to read it each time, they get a message. They've read it once, the group owner needs to put it there for legal reasons, disclaimers etc, but as a reader/participant I am going to ignore it after the first time I've read it unless it has something in it that I need. As an owner, I can rest assured that my footer is there and I've done my part.

As a user/member what I do need, and what is a priority to me, are my action links/buttons so I can do what I want to do in the group: participate. To have to scroll past a footer on iphone each time I want to click "reply to group" or "reply to sender" or "view online" or "new topic" is tiring and affects my desire to participate and makes me work harder to contribute to the group.

Visually, I also think that the horizontal shape of the top message followed by the vertical structure of the links and closed by the horizontal shape of the footer grounds the individual email more - like a roof and a foundation.

Maybe if the links could be horizontal instead of vertical they wouldn't feel like they separate the message from the footer too much? Like the way Y! does it.

And then maybe the links being before the footer wouldn't feel like such a difference from before?

Maria