locked Re: Auto-responder for group owners/moderators, does it exist?

On Wed, Nov 16, 2016 at 12:55 AM, Shal Farley <shals2nd@...> wrote:

That's likely possible. But I think the question then is what happens when more than one moderator is on vacation? Does the member get a notice from each of them? That seems a bit overkill.

But I think the real problem is that gives the wrong impression if there are other moderators still active - the member probably doesn't care *which* moderator handles his/her message; but getting a "vacation" response from one (or more) implies that no one is handling the inbound messages (that's the usual meaning for an email box).

So perhaps one could set it up so that the vacation response is issued only if *all* of the owner/moderators are on vacation. But that too has problems if some have gone permanently inactive, unless other mods can set/unset that status on their behalf.

Which vacation response would be sent in that case, if everyone has their own vacation response?

One thing I've been contemplating is adding a status field for every profile. Just a text line. You could use it for whatever you wanted. For moderators on vacation, you could change it to say 'response may be slow, I'm off-line this week...' or whatever. I'm not sure about an automated email with this, but it'd be easy for people to look these up in the member directory.