locked Re: Proposal: All groups must be moderated or new user moderated

David P. Dillard

To answer Mark's question, I think open and publically archived groups are an extremely important option in this wonderful network. Actually, Groups.IO has exccellent search engine optimization at this time and its public content is well indexed by Google. Yahoo Groups is actually minimally indexed by Google at this time. People create groups for lots of different reasons and group managers as well as members put a great deal of time into the content they produce. In any network I have been affiliated with including Groups.IO, spammers have been a very minor part of my operations in those resources and are easily handled with methods like deletion of messages and banning of spammers. The open and visible nature of Groups.IO is quickly making Groups.IO a go to resource for new groups, new group members and quality content. Any moves that cut access to this network will harm its visiblilty and usefulness and certainly there if also plenty of room for private groups with private archives. Mark, be very wary of using a nuclear bomb on a problem that a fly swatter will handle well. I have had one spammer so far on all of my Groups.IO lists and the matter was handled rapidly with a message deletion. If members want to join my lists they are more than welcome and if they spam, they will be banned. There is no need or desire to keep them out a priori as they will not get away with much once in the group in the area of spamming. They will be quickly banned by me.

Sincerely,
David Dillard
Temple University
(215) 204 - 4584
jwne@temple.edu

On Wed, 5 Oct 2016, Joseph Hudson wrote:

Hi Mark, I say instead of moderating all groups, just make it to where all groups require subscription approval from an
owner/moderator. This will make it easier on people who have lots of traffic coming to their groups and so they don't have to sit
here constantly approving messages from each individual member.
Joseph Hudson
Group administrator for the following
groups
chat
http://list.ntxability.org/mailman/listinfo/chat_list.ntxability.org
blind apples
http://cruising.ultragroups.com/mailman/listinfo/blindapples_cruising.ultragroups.com
blind square GPS
http://cruising.ultragroups.com/mailman/listinfo/blindsquaregps_cruising.ultragroups.com
 blind handyman
http://cruising.ultragroups.com/mailman/listinfo/blindhandyman_cruising.ultragroups.com
iPad help for the blind
https://groups.io/g/IPadhelpfortheblind
Email
jhud7789@gmail.com
I device support
Telephone
2543007667
Skype
joseph.hudson89
facebook
Twitter
https://twitter.com/josephhudson89
FaceTime/iMessage
jhud7789@yahoo.com

On Oct 4, 2016, at 10:51 PM, Mark Fletcher <markf@corp.groups.io> wrote:
Hi All,
One of the things I'm seeing with the spammer is that they'll subscribe to an existing group and post their spam. If a group is
moderated or has NuM set, the group members never see the spam and it's not a problem (and no incentive for the spammer to
continue). But for open groups, it's not a good experience for anyone involved. So I propose to make it so that all groups must
be either moderated or have new users be moderated.  I have not yet thought through whether this should apply to sub-groups as
well. But I wanted to get everyone's take on this proposal first. Is there a good reason to allow open groups at all?