locked Re: Proposal: All groups must be moderated or new user moderated

Steph Mathews <smathews@...>

I have my groups listed in the directory except for one.  Because it's one for the bible study group at my church.

But for my Christian discussion groups I currently have them set where we approve the new members and we have a pending membership application in place with our group guidelines on top.  Then once someone that we allowed into the group is in, we have them on moderated status till we are certain that they are trusted.  I hope that this helps.  Steph

Sent: Tuesday, October 04, 2016 10:51 PM
Subject: [beta] Proposal: All groups must be moderated or new user moderated

Hi All,

One of the things I'm seeing with the spammer is that they'll subscribe to an existing group and post their spam. If a group is moderated or has NuM set, the group members never see the spam and it's not a problem (and no incentive for the spammer to continue). But for open groups, it's not a good experience for anyone involved. So I propose to make it so that all groups must be either moderated or have new users be moderated.  I have not yet thought through whether this should apply to sub-groups as well. But I wanted to get everyone's take on this proposal first. Is there a good reason to allow open groups at all?