locked Re: Gaps in message numbering

Lena,

This is caused by how we (currently) do message threading. When we get a message, we look at the References header. For message ids in the references header that do not match messages we already have, we create placeholder messages in the database, in anticipation of receiving those messages at some point (we're assuming messages have been delivered out of order). Each placeholder message takes a message number. We also do this so that we're better able to match messages to specific threads.

So my guess is that one of the messages you approved had a lot of references, which, in the test group, did not match any existing messages, which caused the creation of a bunch of placeholder messages.

I've been contemplating getting rid of placeholder messages. I'm not sure how much they benefit us when threading messages, especially since I added code that matches subject lines last year. But I have not had a chance to look at it more in depth.

On Fri, Aug 19, 2016 at 2:30 AM, Лена <Lena@...> wrote:
My group is fully moderated. Today at some point of time
there were 3 pending messages. I approved them via email.
They got numbers 77513, 77514, 77516.
On my test group the first message got number 1, the second
number 13. It's not a problem, just something strange.