locked Re: Changes to beta@ to reduce traffic

ro-esp

On Tue, Jul 26, 2016 at 01:08 pm, Mark Fletcher wrote:

On Mon, Jul 25, 2016 at 10:21 PM, Nightowl >8# <featheredleader@att.net>
wrote:

Mark Fletcher wrote:>>I'm adding a feature to the site to automatically
lock threads after a specified time, and will turn it on for beta@. I'm
thinking that 1 week is a good time limit.<<
The other three make sense, but this one doesn't. If someone goes away for a week, you want him/her to start a new thread to discuss the same topic? That doesn't reduce traffic, it just spreads discussions over several threads.

Right now, you cannot change the auto-locking timing on a per-thread
basis. There is a way around that if you wish. The auto-locking program
runs nightly, and looks for the most recent threads within a 30 hour period
that should be locked. So, for beta@, every night it looks for threads that
were created between 7 days and 8 days + 6 hours ago (the +6 is a fudge
factor to make sure that if the lock program was delayed in running one
night that it wouldn't miss anything). It then locks those threads.
"created" ?? If the issue hasn't been resolved, this too will just create additional threads about the same topic. Maybe it will even make people reply quickly instead of thoroughly.

It doesn't look at earlier threads. So, if a thread gets auto locked, you
could go back a day or two later and unlock it again and it would stay
unlocked.
If "you" is the owner/moderator, wouldn't it be more logical to not autolock at all?

The one caveat to this is if you change the auto lock time period
in Settings, the lock program will go in that night and examine all threads
and lock the appropriate ones.
small detail: there's no such thing as "night" on a worldwide group

By me setting it for one week, my hope would be that it adds a sense of
urgency to drive to a solution and not linger for weeks and weeks. At least
that's the hope.
Like I said, I don't like to rush things that way. Let me give another idea: how about an option to put the entire group on hold. Make an option that allows you to not send out/publicise group messages. New posts would simply be held until the specified release-time. I can imagine some religious people not wanting to get any messages during sabbath or sunday. Posts could be collected during that day, and be released at say 4 O'clock monday-morning (or some other specified moderator's timezone time).

You could use the same feature to close a group for the summer holidays.

groetjes, Ronaldo