From: beta@groups.io <beta@groups.io> on behalf of J_catlady <j.olivia.catlady@...>
Sent: Tuesday, July 26, 2016 2:56 PM
To: beta@groups.io
Subject: Re: [beta] Threads -> Topics?

Implementing not implanting (iPhone typo)

Sent from my iPhone

On Jul 26, 2016, at 2:55 PM, J_catlady <j.olivia.catlady@...> wrote:

Brian,

I see both sides and originally agreed with you, as I said. I'm now thinking specifically about meaning, and about the auto locking mechanism and what I think is Mark's intention in implanting it to keep subjects moving along rather than revisiting them much later after the ship has sailed (I think that was your metaphor?)

Sent from my iPhone

On Jul 26, 2016, at 2:46 PM, Brian Vogel <britechguy@...> wrote:

I actually disagree that "Topic" is clearer.  As has already been mentioned, what has been called "thread drift" almost forever now happens when topics can and do switch and branch within a thread.  When a thread is locked it doesn't apply to any single topic that may have been or be actively being discussed in a thread.  I've also seen people spin-off new threads on a specific topic if there's new material or if a thread is locked due to a flame war or similar that has nothing to do with the topic that one wishes to discuss.

We're back to my consistent statement:  people need to learn the actual terminology connected to any communication medium they intend to use actively.  You find the term thread, threaded view, etc., used all over the place, not just on Groups.io, and it's very well understood what they mean.  If someone is new, and doesn't understand, all they need do is ask.  We've all been there, done that, got the information we needed.
--
Brian

It's dumb to buy smart water.

It's dumb to buy smart water.