locked Re: New Subscription Options

Frances

Hi Mark,

I think it does make sense.

I like that I will also be able to see the status of an individual group by the tabs on the side bar.

Frances

On Jan 22 15, at 12:26 PM, Mark Fletcher <markf@corp.groups.io> wrote:

I think I've confused myself. In fact, I'm pretty sure I've confused myself. Let's ignore for a minute how the Inbox/Muted Threads/etc tabs actually work on the home page. How should all this work? Here's a proposal:

Based on your subscription, you either have muted threads & hashtags, or followed threads & hashtags. You're either excluding or including things to be delivered to you.

When viewing a specific group that you're subscribed to, there will be tabs on the sidebar for muted threads/hashtags, or followed threads/hashtags, allowing you to see what you've muted/followed, and letting you undo those actions. The group archives will always show all the group messages, from which you can mute or follow new things..

When going to groups.io (aka the home page), there will be tabs for Inbox, Muted Thread, Muted Hashtags, Followed Threads, Followed Hashtags. The Muted and Followed tabs are just aggregations over all your subscriptions. Inbox will be what you would get sent to you in email if your Email Delivery setting was set to Individual Messages (regardless of what your Email Delivery setting actually is).

Does that make sense? If it does, then I think the current newsubpage makes sense? Too complicated?

On Wed, Jan 21, 2015 at 2:54 PM, Shal Farley <shal@...> wrote:
Mark,

> I also put Auto Follow Replies under Following Only, because that's
> the only option that applies to it.

I note that a checkmark there disappears (leaving an empty gray box) when you click "All Messages", and does not reappear when you click "Following Only" again. Same if you click "No Email" and then click "Individual Messages" again.

There's a minor issue that I'd prefer that the prior state be retained when one switches and switches back.

The more major issue is that I think "Auto Follow Replies" is a useful option for members that have selected "Special Notices Only" or "No Email" because they prefer reading messages via the "Followed Threads" tab in their Groups.io Inbox. That's the use case that makes me think it should be broken out as a stand-alone option, unaffected by Email Delivery or Message Selection.

That's assuming the necessary changes are made to the Follow/Mute affordances so that one can manage one's Followed Threads without receiving email.

Unless I've completely misunderstood.

-- Shal