locked Re: formatting bar disappears in some cases when editing a post #bug

Lol. All you'd have to do to unconfuse Sir Topham Hat is explain to him that the formatting options are not in effect (not sure whether 'disabled' would be the right word) because a plain text message is bring edited. Or however you'd want to say that. Just something so Sir Topham Hat doesn't think he's going crazy.:-)

Sent from my iPhone

On Jul 19, 2016, at 10:22 AM, Mark Fletcher <markf@corp.groups.io> wrote:

On Tue, Jul 19, 2016 at 6:53 AM, J_catlady <j.olivia.catlady@...> wrote:

I brought this up before, and you were unable to reproduce it, and afterwards I was unable to reproduce it and thought i'd been imagining it. But it just happened again this morning.

You were editing: https://groups.io/g/beta/message/10309, which was your reply to message: https://groups.io/g/beta/message/10301

Message 10301 was a plain text message. Your reply also was a plain text message (because the original was a plain text message and you didn't add any formatting when you composed it using Apple Mail). When editing an existing message, if it's plain text, we don't convert it to HTML, and therefore put up the plain text edit window which doesn't contain any formatting options.

So, it looks like things were working as designed. Should we convert plain text messages to HTML when editing them? I don't know what the right answer to that is. Doing so would screw up the message history, so that you (probably) couldn't see what had changed with the edit. But not doing so leads to confusion as you saw. And Sir Topham Hat doesn't like confusion (sorry, too much little kid TV lately).

It's dumb to buy smart water.