locked Re: Message Number Box is gone! ACK!

Brian Vogel <britechguy@...>

On Fri, Jul 15, 2016 at 01:33 pm, J_catlady wrote:
There are false positives and false negatives galore. It's nearly impossible to find what you want. If there's any on thing that gives me nightmares (and sincere worries) about the success of this product, and my decision to move my group here, the sub-par search function is it.

And these tons of false positives and false negatives are even more frustrating to unsophisticated (yes, that is the proper term in the software world - and it has nothing to do with general worldliness) users who either haven't a clue that they are getting false positives or missing false negatives or, probably more likely, looking for something they know that they or someone else posted hours to days ago that they cannot get to pull up in a search.

I honestly cannot recall at the moment as to whether searches when in thread view use both the Title/Subject and message text or not.  I seem to recall the first time that I did a search in that view it was only using either the Title/Subject or the message text, but either at the exclusion of the other is not intuitive at all.  I recall being flabbergasted when told that it was either/or.

This is one of the reasons I don't use the search function here.  It's just too darned frustrating and inconsistent in getting back what I'd expect to get back when I know, without a doubt, that the it I'm looking for is out there and where I'm looking.

As an aside and from an aesthetic viewpoint I still think that "merging" the permalink icon with the message number designation would make more sense and cause the message number to stand out as an entity separate from the time.  This, however, is a real nit to pick.
--
Brian