locked Re: New website is live + reply to changes

On Fri, Jul 15, 2016 at 01:03 pm, Mark Fletcher wrote:
there's now a toggle button at the bottom right of the reply box. Clicking that button toggles the main reply button on the left. This is similar to how several other services handle this issue, and I think is an improvement over what we had before.

Also, for replies to sender, the word 'Private: ' is prepended to the subject line.

I played around with having some way of selecting where your reply goes to before the reply box opens up, but was unhappy with everything I tried.

I give this mixed reviews. Of course I'm still unhappy that the user still has to click "reply" before clicking on "private," which is the same problem I lamented before. So I'm unhappy that you were unhappy with all the possible solutions you came up with (I'd love to hear what they were).

But if you're going to stick with this (and I hope not), I think the "private" toggle should be much more obvious. Among the other choices at the bottom, it's the only thing without a color and is extremely inconspicuous. Is that intentional, to make it more difficult to click "reply to sender"? I think it just makes things more difficult in general.

Also, it's a step in the right direction that the subject includes the word "private," but I don't think that's enough. There have been many, many occasions when despite my typing "Offlist - private" into the title, the recipient still has no idea that the message is private because they ignore titles and are reading the message bodies. I myself have fallen victim to this many times. I eventually began each such message with the sentence "This is a private (offlist) reply." People can throw advice at me to be a more careful reader - in fact, I'm anticipating it, LOL - but that doesn't solve the problem. I think the message body itself should also include something at the top.

Bottom line, baby steps in the right direction, but it doesn't solve what for me is the crux of the problem.

It's dumb to buy smart water.