locked Re: Message Number Box is gone! ACK!

Brian Vogel <britechguy@...>

On Fri, Jul 15, 2016 at 12:29 pm, Sue wrote:
but have a vague idea of when it was posted.

Which brings me back to my earlier point, and my plea:  Give us a search mechanism that reflects best in class.

Having a date range of some sort, and personally I prefer a "between" type search where you can specify the earliest and latest dates between which messages should be returned, is a basic requirement.  So is a search on author.  So would being able to specify whether one wants to search by title only or title and message text.

Having a search by group or groups selection would be very nice, and is very common, because there are often closely related groups on a site such as this and the user doing the search may know that the message being sought is most likely in groups A, B, and C.

The search feature here is one of the absolutely weakest points of Groups.io.  It's also something that gets noticed right away if you are anything beyond the most casual of users.  It's just too simplistic and does not allow enough refinement in search criteria to adequately narrow results.  There are lots of examples out there to use as excellent examples to pattern after, too.

--
Brian