locked Re: Message Number Box is gone! ACK!

Brian Vogel <britechguy@...>

On Fri, Jul 15, 2016 at 10:32 am, Nightowl wrote:
I thought I was in the minority because I can't remember numbers

Numbers, as in just some random number (which a message number is, or the total on your lunch bill today is, or the like) are generally "mental ephemera" that are very hard to attach any external meaning to outside the quantity they denote.  The same is not true of words used in combination, which carry meaning in and of themselves.  For instance, I'll remember that you went by Feathered Leader and Nightowl probably for quite a while now because those two phrases are attached to this place and to you.  13568, even were that a message that you wrote, is not and, even if I did somehow attach that to you (or anyone else) it would be supplanted with some random number that comes next in life.   I can recall threads in multiple venues I participated in several years ago and am able to mentally pull up very specific phrases I can use for search string(s) for a great many of them.  Their content was important to me at the time they were active and I knew in the back of my head I was going to need that information in the future and where I could search to find it.  I also tend to remember the writing styles and turns of phrase of regulars in the venues I haunt, so that those can be used effectively at times as a results-narrowing criterion.

Your method of reading is absolutely antithetical to mine (and that's an observation of fact, not a value judgment).  I could no sooner plow through messages in chronological order on a very active group and keep switching between conversations/issues/discussions and keep any coherent mental thread.  The same is true for me in e-mail, where I always use a conversation view.

Chacun à son goût!
--
Brian