locked Re: New test/mobile version

J,

On Wed, Jul 13, 2016 at 2:32 PM, J_catlady <j.olivia.catlady@...> wrote:

Here's a little thing to complain about: entering only part of a word brings up no results. For example, if there are messages with the term "supercalafragilistic," that word works fine as a search term. But "supercala" brings up nothing. Etc. I tried this for a bunch of words - "messa" instead of "message," "wate" instead of "water," etc.

Shal brought this up as an issue with activity search as well. It's not a bug in that it's doing what it was programmed to do. Doing partial matches is a tricky thing. Does Yahoo search do true partial matching of arbitrary length queries? I'd be shocked if they do. It's a question of storage space and processing required.

That said, it definitely needs to happen for at least some things. Unfortunately, the software I use for search, ElasticSearch, has somewhat impenetrable documentation and despite a few hours playing with it, I haven't found the right incantation to get partial searches working yet. I'll most likely have to hire them to help me figure things out (which is their business model.... hmm, now I think I understand the bad documentation.....). All this is to say that: it's a big project, it's important, but it won't happen right away.

In search results, thread matches now always display message count badges, even for threads of one message.