locked Re: New test/mobile version

J,

On Wed, Jul 13, 2016 at 2:32 PM, J_catlady <j.olivia.catlady@...> wrote:

Here's a little thing to complain about: entering only part of a word brings up no results. For example, if there are messages with the term "supercalafragilistic," that word works fine as a search term. But "supercala" brings up nothing. Etc. I tried this for a bunch of words - "messa" instead of "message," "wate" instead of "water," etc.

Shal brought this up as an issue with activity search as well. It's not a bug in that it's doing what it was programmed to do. Doing partial matches is a tricky thing. Does Yahoo search do true partial matching of arbitrary length queries? I'd be shocked if they do. It's a question of storage space and processing required. 

That said, it definitely needs to happen for at least some things. Unfortunately, the software I use for search, ElasticSearch, has somewhat impenetrable documentation and despite a few hours playing with it, I haven't found the right incantation to get partial searches working yet. I'll most likely have to hire them to help me figure things out (which is their business model.... hmm, now I think I understand the bad documentation.....). All this is to say that: it's a big project, it's important, but it won't happen right away.

In search results, thread matches now always display message count badges, even for threads of one message. 

Thanks,
Mark

Join main@beta.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.