Topics

Wiki changes notifications

Frances

This came up again today and it isn't in the wiki. People want to avoid mailing messages to members whenever someone is editing the a page of the wiki. It causes unnecessary messages. There is a workaround:
Shal wrote: "A moderator can preemptively block such notices from posting to the group by creating the corresponding hashtag and setting the hashtag options. No Email will cause them to quietly post to the group's Messages, but not go out to members by email, Moderated will cause them to be held in the Pending list where you can delete them."

See this thread in GMF -  https://groups.io/g/GroupManagersForum/message/34988
"Wiki changes generating postings and emails"

Thanks.

Frances

I was alarmed to see from this message that this was even happening, and that a (somewhat elaborate) workaround is required to stop it. But when I checked my group, there is no #wiki-notice hashtag at all, and no messages to the group that the wiki has been updated, even though I update it frequently. What gives?

J

Duane

On Sun, Nov 15, 2020 at 07:46 AM, J_Catlady wrote:
no messages to the group that the wiki has been updated, even though I update it frequently. What gives?
If you don't check the "Notify Members" box on the wiki page while editing, no notice is sent to the group.

Duane

Duane,
That's what I thought, which is why this perceived problem seems so mysterious to me in the first place. I don't see the problem at all. Are mods trying to prevent their members from checking the "Notify Members" box and the members are not complying? Otherwise I don't understand why any such elaborate workaround is needed. Just don't check "Notify Members."

On Sun, Nov 15, 2020 at 6:08 AM Duane <txpigeon@...> wrote:
On Sun, Nov 15, 2020 at 07:46 AM, J_Catlady wrote:
no messages to the group that the wiki has been updated, even though I update it frequently. What gives?
If you don't check the "Notify Members" box on the wiki page while editing, no notice is sent to the group.

Duane

Duane

On Sun, Nov 15, 2020 at 08:34 AM, J_Catlady wrote:
Are mods trying to prevent their members from checking the "Notify Members" box and the members are not complying?
Yes, that's exactly it.  Many owner/mods don't see the usefulness of all those notifications being posted on the group.  I've got specific instructions in my group Guidelines that they should NOT check the box, but many do it anyway.  By moderating those notification hashtags, I can head them off.

Duane

Interesting. The one whose implementation I’d been eagerly awaiting was the photo notice. For ages, members would upload photos of their cats, unbeknownst to the other group members because there was no notification feature. So that’s one I’m very glad to have. We haven’t had any problems with the others.

On Nov 15, 2020, at 6:54 AM, Duane <txpigeon@...> wrote:

Are mods trying to prevent their members from checking the "Notify Members" box and the members are not complying?
Yes, that's exactly it.  Many owner/mods don't see the usefulness of all those notifications being posted on the group.  I've got specific instructions in my group Guidelines that they should NOT check the box, but many do it anyway.  By moderating those notification hashtags, I can head them off.

Duane

Frances

Edited

I would like the instructions to be in the Help documents. Otherwise people have to test different scenarios in order to achieve what they want.

For major edits, a notice to members is useful. For minor ones on several pages, notifications aren't. 

Frances

Instead of an elaborate workaround (probably incomprehensible to many group owners, even with documentation), and corresponding elaborate and necessarily convoluted documentation, maybe someone should suggest on beta a group option to completely turn notifications off by non-mods for a given specific category. This does not seem to be a documentation issue.

On Nov 15, 2020, at 6:54 AM, Duane <txpigeon@...> wrote:

Duane

On Sun, Nov 15, 2020 at 07:09 AM, Frances wrote:
For major edits, a notice to members is useful. For minor ones on several pages, no notifications aren't.
Neither documentation nor options to turn notifications off (the option I suggested) is going to solve that. This is a case-by-case decision.

On Sun, Nov 15, 2020 at 07:23 AM, J_Catlady wrote:
On Sun, Nov 15, 2020 at 07:09 AM, Frances wrote:
For major edits, a notice to members is useful
Another possibility (rather than documentation of a convoluted fix) would be a group option to make notifications require approval for specific categories. But that seems convoluted as well.

Nina E

The System hashtags topic in the Owners Manual currently includes a tip about creating a system hashtag manually and applying the desired properties, but that info is general (not to mention kind of buried). The Getting Started Guide for Group Owners also mentions creating system hashtags preemptively and applying properties (see Step 8: Create some hashtags), but, again, the info is pretty general. Maybe I’ll add some examples to that topic. Of course, group owners can also educate their members about when and when not to use the Notify Members checkbox for wiki (and file and photo) changes.

All that said, I do think including such tips/workarounds in the documentation can be useful, and I’ll work on that.

Thank you for the feedback.

- Nina

From: docs@beta.groups.io <docs@beta.groups.io> On Behalf Of Frances
Sent: Saturday, November 14, 2020 11:15 PM
To: docs@beta.groups.io
Subject: [docs] Wiki changes notifications

This came up again today and it isn't in the wiki. People want to avoid mailing messages to members whenever someone is editing the a page of the wiki. It causes unnecessary messages. There is a workaround:
Shal wrote: "A moderator can preemptively block such notices from posting to the group by creating the corresponding hashtag and setting the hashtag options. No Email will cause them to quietly post to the group's Messages, but not go out to members by email, Moderated will cause them to be held in the Pending list where you can delete them."

See this thread in GMF -  https://groups.io/g/GroupManagersForum/message/34988

"Wiki changes generating postings and emails"

Thanks.

Frances

Bob Bellizzi

Nina,
Thank you for your so very professional writing skills.  It's a pleasure to have such great manuals as reference material.
Haven't seen any as good since the good old days of big computers.

--
Bob Bellizzi