Topics

User Account Alias text addition suggestion

Christos G. Psarras

Hi Nina,

I'd suggest to add a note blurb in the member user account alias section (member PDF, 3.4.2, "Setting or changing account login elements"), to include some blurb to the effect of "using an alias email address to log in into GIO (with the same pwd as the main email address) is the same as logging in as the main email address" or something to that effect.

What brought this up was this topic in beta: "Linking email addresses #suggestion", https://beta.groups.io/g/main/topic/76845259

Not quite sure if there should also be something to that effect somewhere in the Owner manual.

Cheers,
Christos

Andy Wedge

On Mon, Sep 14, 2020 at 07:58 PM, Christos G. Psarras wrote:
"using an alias email address to log in into GIO (with the same pwd as the main email address) is the same as logging in as the main email address"
I think you are confusing the issue when you start talking about logging in with an alias because you don't do that. You just define an alternate address as an alias to the account address. In fact the alias address cannot already have an account defined with Groups.io. 

Andy

On Mon, Sep 14, 2020 at 12:24 PM Andy Wedge <andy_wedge@...> wrote:
"using an alias email address to log in into GIO (with the same pwd as the main email address) is the same as logging in as the main email address"
I think you are confusing the issue when you start talking about logging in with an alias because you don't do that. You just define an alternate address as an alias to the account address. In fact the alias address cannot already have an account defined with Groups.io. 

If you have an alias defined for your account, you can log in using that email address, just as you would with your `primary` email address. The end result is the same, you're logged into your (singular) account.

Thanks,
Mark

Nina E

I added a note about logging in with an email alias to the information about adding email aliases in the Members Manual > Understanding Groups.io accounts > Setting account preferences and viewing account information > Setting or changing account login elements (section 3.4.2 in the PDF version).

- Nina

From: docs@beta.groups.io <docs@beta.groups.io> On Behalf Of Mark Fletcher
Sent: Wednesday, September 16, 2020 11:32 AM
To: docs@beta.groups.io
Subject: Re: [docs] User Account Alias text addition suggestion

On Mon, Sep 14, 2020 at 12:24 PM Andy Wedge <andy_wedge@...> wrote:

If you have an alias defined for your account, you can log in using that email address, just as you would with your `primary` email address. The end result is the same, you're logged into your (singular) account.

Thanks,

Mark