Topics

Suggestion: Add instructions on how to recover from change-email-addy typos

Hi Nina,

We had this occur twice in the past week or so, we may want to add the resolution to it in the User manual; specifically, Setting account preferences and viewing account information -> Setting or changing account login elements,  User PDF section 3.4.2, in the NOTES section of changing account email address.

If someone attempts to change their email address and makes a typo, all of a sudden they are stuck, their account has no longer the old email address associated with it so they are locked out of everything, and they don't realize that they can ensure they log out and log back in using the mispelled address and the same password as before, then go and correct the typo. (well, I didn't know that myself either, lol)

See
https://groups.io/g/GroupManagersForum/topic/accidental_email_change/78256324
and
https://groups.io/g/Group_Help/topic/78299286

Something in the notes to that effect can be helpful, i.e. ensure one is logged out then log back in with the mispelled address and same password as before, go and correct the address, then continue as normally, i.e. when they receive the confirmation email to reply to it to confirm the change to the corrected address; maybe highlighted or something.  I'd suggest to make sure to add the keyword typo in that text somewhere as browser/PDF searches can find it.

Or alternatively, maybe add another subsection before Deleting your Account, possibly Account Recovery, where the solution would be described, and having a link to it in the above "Changing Email" notes; this would also allow a browser/PDF search to find Account Recovery.

Cheers,
Christos

Nina E

Hi, Christos. I updated the instructions for changing an email address to reflect the new confirmation popup that Mark added, and they mention reviewing the address in the popup carefully to make sure it’s correct. But I was pressed for time and didn’t have a chance to include the info about how to recover if someone does make an error in the new address. Here’s hoping that the confirmation popup helps prevent such errors, but no doubt they will still happen. I’ll include the recovery info in the next update.

Thank you for the feedback!

On Sat, Nov 21, 2020 at 08:45 AM, Nina E wrote:
Here’s hoping that the confirmation popup helps prevent such errors, but no doubt they will still happen. I’ll include the recovery info in the next update.
Thanks for that and here's an update on that section.  In the course of researching something else (see my previous docs message) I came across another way that a user can recover from a typo email change account condition.  Because of the way that part of the code currently works, the email address is changed on the database before the confirmation link is clicked, so the new typo-ed address now shows in the groups (albeit it goes to blue bouncing status right away).  So, if someone cannot use the other ways to recover their account, if they are a member of a Premium/Ent group and they can get in touch with an admin, the admin can reset their typo address back to normal, using that premium+ Change-Member's-Email-Address feature.

Not sure if we want to also include this option due to any possible code changes in that particular email-change process, but based on how the code currently works, it is another option.

Cheers,
Christos

Nina E

In the Members Manual, the tip in the Understanding Groups.io accounts > Recovering your account if you enter an incorrect email address section now includes a statement that you can ask the owner of a Premium or Enterprise group to correct the email address for you.

Thank you for the suggestion!