"P" badge title clarification suggestion

Hi Nina,

The admin badge page, https://groups.io/helpcenter/ownersmanual/1/additional-information/member-badges-and-topic-icons, says this about P:

Posting Allowed      (The member’s posting privilege is set to Override: not moderated.)

It really should say "Posting Always Allowed", because technically, a member set to group default (no badge) is also "Posting Allowed" in an unmoderated group, plus even that same user but in a moderated group this time is still "posting allowed",  it just has to be approved first.

Adding "Always" makes things crystal-clear and brings it closer to the explanation text's meaning.

Cheers,
Christos

On Sun, Jan 31, 2021 at 06:36 PM, Christos G. Psarras wrote:
Adding "Always" makes things crystal-clear and brings it closer to the explanation text's meaning.
IMO it's not quite crystal clear even with that. A "P" member can post even in a moderated topic.

On Sun, Jan 31, 2021 at 06:40 PM, J_Catlady wrote:
can post even in a moderated topic.
can post without moderation even in an unmoderated topic

On Sun, Jan 31, 2021 at 06:41 PM, J_Catlady wrote:
can post without moderation even in an unmoderated topic
Yikes, I'm making this worse and worse.:)
Should read:
"can post without moderation even in a moderated topic"

< ... is she done??? maybe I should wait before repl>

<oops...>

You're right I missed the explain bit.  Here's a couple of possibilities:

Explain and point to the setting:

Posting Always Allowed      The member can post without moderation even in a moderated topic. (Override: not moderated)

or keep it closer to the existing text, point to the setting, then add explain qualifier:

Posting Always Allowed      The member’s posting privilege is set to Override: not moderated. (even in a moderated topic)
(or fully-sentenced, "not moderated, even in a moderated topic.")

Either way, it should be crystal and crystal clear now.  Good catch!

Cheers,
Christos

Well, I don’t understand the sequence and the redundancy, but as long as the point is made clear I’m not picky.

Yeah, I’m done.

On 2021-01-31 23:54, J_Catlady via groups.io wrote:
Well, I don’t understand the sequence and the redundancy, but as long as the point is made clear I’m not picky.
Yeah, I’m done.
If you're talking about the text above each suggestion, that's for my benefit sometimes, to help me formulate what to type, and I go overboard with it, please don't take it that other way.

If you're talking about the crystal and crystal bit, that was me being "cute", I made the title clear and you made the explanation clear; I told you I speak like a cat sometimes. :)

Sorry, I should had included an emoji; <oops..> indeed, lol!

Cheers,
Christos

:-)

On 2021-01-31 23:54, J_Catlady via groups.io wrote:
Well, I don’t understand the sequence and the redundancy, but as long as the point is made clear I’m not picky.
Yeah, I’m done.
If you're talking about the text above each suggestion, that's for my benefit sometimes, to help me formulate what to type, and I go overboard with it, please don't take it that other way.

If you're talking about the crystal and crystal bit, that was me being "cute", I made the title clear and you made the explanation clear; I told you I speak like a cat sometimes. :)

Sorry, I should had included an emoji; <oops..> indeed, lol!

Cheers,
Christos

Nina E

Hi, Christos. I made that change. (I discovered that the hover text in Groups.io for that badge actually was “Can Post” originally, so I asked Mark to change it to “Posting Always Allowed,” which he did. :-) )

Thank you for the feedback!

- Nina

Posting Allowed      (The member’s posting privilege is set to Override: not moderated.)

It really should say "Posting Always Allowed", because technically, a member set to group default (no badge) is also "Posting Allowed" in an unmoderated group, plus even that same user but in a moderated group this time is still "posting allowed",  it just has to be approved first.

Adding "Always" makes things crystal-clear and brings it closer to the explanation text's meaning.

Cheers,
Christos

Nina E

I think additional explanatory info about all the “Override” member moderation settings could go in the Moderating individual members topic, with links to it from the Member badges topic. I didn’t have time to do that this week, so I’ll put it on my list for a future update.

Thank you for the suggestions!

- Nina

< ... is she done??? maybe I should wait before repl>

<oops...>

You're right I missed the explain bit.  Here's a couple of possibilities:

Explain and point to the setting:

Posting Always Allowed      The member can post without moderation even in a moderated topic. (Override: not moderated)

or keep it closer to the existing text, point to the setting, then add explain qualifier:

Posting Always Allowed      The member’s posting privilege is set to Override: not moderated. (even in a moderated topic)
(or fully-sentenced, "not moderated, even in a moderated topic.")

Either way, it should be crystal and crystal clear now.  Good catch!

Cheers,
Christos

It would not be “additional” if called “All Posts Allowed” instead of “Posting Always Allowed.” It may not be parallel syntax with the other badge explanations (I haven’t checked) but for me, Posting Always Allowed does nothing to clarify beyond Can Post. I would still think, “Huh, what are they talking about? This group is unmoderated anyway.” My two cents.

It’s even fewer letters. :-)