Topics

Owner/Mod manual corrections and suggestions

Duane

All page numbers shown are using the total pages, not the one at the bottom.
----------
pg 12
When using the menu>submenu>page section, it seems to me that an additional notation should be used.  As an example, Admin > Settings, Spam Control to refer to that section of the Settings page.  To go a step further, it could be Admin > Settings, Spam Control > Announcement-Only Group for an area within that section.
----------
pg 15
Change "Tip: If you want to promote your group, use appropriate keywords in the group title so..." to "... keywords in the group title or description so..." in the Group Title section as well as in the Group Description section.
----------
pg 22
The indicated link for "Viewing and managing your group’s storage space" is not active.
----------
pg 23
The indicated link for "Email Delivery" in the second bullet point is not active.
----------
pg 27
Under Wiki Settings, Permissions, there should be a Note:
Note: Wiki pages can be restricted to moderator modification when created.
----------
pg 28
Email Delivery, Full Featured Digest
Due to the recent change, "Any messages that remain at the end of the day are sent as the final (or only) digest of the day." should be changed to "Any messages that remain at 6 AM local time are sent as the final (or only) digest of the day, if a digest has not been sent within the last 6 hours.
----------
pg 31
Overview, 3rd sentence, typo - "...having an member notice..." should be "...having a member notice..."
----------
pg 32
Include a link to an example Direct Add Notice?
----------
pg 33
For clarity change "When the notice is created, a Guidelines entry automatically appears on the group’s home page." to "...appears on the left menu of the group’s home page."
----------
pg 33
Email Subject bullet.  Change from "Enter a subject line that will appear in the message in the group archive, if the notice is emailed monthly to the group." to "...will appear in the message when emailed, either to the group or an individual."
----------
pg 34
Locked Group notice.  Add:
Note: Only paid groups may be locked.
----------
pg 35
Link to an example Welcome Notice, possibly the default that's automatically created?
----------
pg 36
Sending invitations to join the group
item 4 - format of email address may be:
<name> email@... or email@...
----------
pg 37
Under "To cancel and remove invitations", item 2, add note:
Note:  If you do not cancel/remove an invitation, it can be used at any future date.
----------
pg 38
The badge is missing for Moderate First
----------
pg 38
several places, the indicated link for "posting privilege" is not active.
----------
Pg 38
NMM badge, "...posts (1, 2, 3, or 4) required before..." should be changed to "...posts (1, 2, 3, or 4) remaining before..."
----------
pg 40
at the bottom, "The note will be saved in the member’s record, which will be retained..." needs to indicate that Past Members are only available to paid groups.
----------
pg 46
Handling an individual pending message, Edit, Note, "...(however, it does not prevent other moderators from taking action)." should be changed to "...moderators from taking action online)."
----------
pg 47
item 4, "Approve & Unmoderate Senders: Approve the selected pending messages and take their senders off moderation." should be "...messages and change their senders to Use Group Moderation Setting."
----------
pg 51
item 5, "Save Without Sending: Use this button if you want to just save the edited message in the archive without emailing it to group members." change to "...without emailing it to all group members and a copy will be sent to the original poster."
----------
pg 51
near bottom, indicated link for "pending group members" not active
----------
pg 52
Receiving and viewing messages sent to the owner email address, bullet 2, "...to list all messages that have been sent to the owner email address." should be "...messages that you have sent..."
----------
pg 53
Under "Managing hashtags", Overview, for completeness, "...hash (or pound or number sign)..." should be "...hash (or pound, number sign, or octothorpe)..."
----------
pg 55
Section "Usage settings on individual hashtags" typo "...Use by Use by Mods Only..." should be "...Use by Mods Only..."
----------
pg 63
Under "Viewing your group’s storage limit and current space usage", can also see usage by going to https://groups.io/g/[groupname]/usage
----------
pg 64
Under "Adding an email integration", item 3, "Hashtags: Enter any hashtags (up to five) that you..." should be changed to "...(up to four, plus the automatic #email)..."
----------
pg 65
Under "Adding a feed integration", item 3, "Hashtags: Enter any hashtags (up to five) that you..." should be changed to "...(up to four, plus the automatic #feed)..."
----------
pg 70
"Groups.io gathers the selected data into a compressed zip archive and, generally within 10 minutes, sends you an email message with a link to the data file." should have added "...link to the data file that is valid for 24 hours."
**********

Hope I'm not being too nit-picky!

Based on an almost minor comment that Mark made, I think the entire document should be edited so that references to a "section" of a page, such as "The page contains sections for these categories of settings:" on page 14 under General settings, should be changed to "The page contains panels for these categories of settings:"  I was going to make a list of them, but there are a lot of them throughout the manual.

Possibly in the Terminology/Glossary page, add this definition.

"CHANGE: Separate the settings in the Default Sub Settings page into two panels for greater clarity." in https://beta.groups.io/g/main/message/24495

Good luck keeping up with Mark!

Duane

On Sat, Mar 14, 2020 at 7:04 AM Duane <txpigeon@...> wrote:
Based on an almost minor comment that Mark made, I think the entire document should be edited so that references to a "section" of a page, such as "The page contains sections for these categories of settings:" on page 14 under General settings, should be changed to "The page contains panels for these categories of settings:"  I was going to make a list of them, but there are a lot of them throughout the manual.

I used the term panel because that's what those things are called in the web framework that I use to build the site (called Bootstrap). I personally have no opinion on what they should be called in the documentation.

Thanks,
Mark

Kristen James Eberlein

If Nina selects a style guide, it will outline the terminology to use for UI components.

Best, Kris

On Sat, Mar 14, 2020 at 11:07 AM, Mark Fletcher wrote:
I used the term panel because that's what those things are called in the web framework that I use to build the site (called Bootstrap). I personally have no opinion on what they should be called in the documentation.
Since you're comfortable with that term, and have used it as a reference here, I think it should be used in the documentation as well.  As I mentioned on the GMF group, "section" didn't seem quite specific enough somehow, but "panel" seems to be perfect - a separate area that's clearly delineated.  I intend to start using it when needed.