Topics

New help center

Hi All,

I've put up an alpha version of the new help center, here: https://groups.io/helpcenter

It contains a link to the most recent version of the Owners Manual (the other manuals are not yet ready for review).

  • The owner's manual is mostly complete.
  • Note that the PDF is missing the images from the manual and final formatting tweaks.
  • Also, at the end of the manual are some notes from Nina to me about remaining items; those will removed in the final version.
  • At some point there will be a search feature.
  • The lorem ipsum placeholder text will be replaced.

Please let me know what you think.

Thanks, Mark

Mark Murphy

This is such a useful document and I know a great deal of work has gone into it. I hesitate to ask for more, however... I have some suggestions.

1. Section 26.3 Bounce, bouncing

Consider also mentioning "system bounces" if a message cannot be delivered to a group due to a group policy or system limit. For example, sections 4.6.4 (Hashtag permissions), 4.6.13 (Storage Limit Reached), 4.8.6 (Message that contain attachments), etc.

2. Tables

Repeat table headings when a table is split over pages.

3. Formatting topmost outline level

Use outline notation with ending period at the top outline level. For example, use "2. Conventions used in this documentation" rather than "2 Conventions used in this documentation". This helps to visualize and emphasize the outline levels of the document.

Consider using page breaks to separate changes in top outline level.

4. Page headers

Consider adding a header to all pages which contains the current top level (single digit) heading of that page. For example, the header on Section 4 pages 13-29 would be "4. Customizing Group Settings." This helps for wayfinding and context for the reader to know where they are within the document.

5. Apparent links within the document to Glossary items do not work. (formatting tweaks?)

6. Minor cleanup

Replace subscriber with member in sections 4.8.2, 4.8.3, 4.9.1, etc.

Thank you for producing this wonderful Owners Manual!

Bob Bellizzi

On Tue, Mar 24, 2020 at 01:46 PM, Mark Fletcher wrote:
At some point there will be a search feature.
A future search feature seems redundant.
When viewing HTML and also PDF (online) Ctrl/F give a fairly easy to use and comprehensive search facility.

--
Bob Bellizzi

Hello,

Thanks for the suggestions for improvements of the PDF versions of the manuals. I've made the following changes to the PDF version of the Owners Manual:

- There are now page breaks before each new section.
- We do a page break if we can only fit a couple lines of a subsection at the bottom of the page (mostly, I've seen at least one instance where this isn't fixed yet).
- Table headers are now repeated if the table spans multiple pages (with the exception of any table that has a nested table, because there is a bug in the utility I use that causes overlapping text in that instance).
- There's a new header on every page with the section title.
- I've tweaked the header and footer spacing of the page.

In non-PDF manual news, I fixed a bug when viewing the manual section by section that caused some sections to not be displayed.

I have also updated the Owners manual to the latest version.

Thanks,
Mark

On Sun, Mar 29, 2020 at 9:53 AM Mark Murphy <mark@...> wrote:
[...]

Nina E

At some point there will be a search feature.
A future search feature seems redundant.
When viewing HTML and also PDF (online) Ctrl/F give a fairly easy to use and comprehensive search facility.
Speaking with my user hat on (rather than my tech writer hat :-) ), a search feature that's available throughout the help center would (I hope) provide search results in context—similar to wiki searches in groups, maybe—which would make for a good user experience.

- Nina

West Coast Compañeros Staff

Even though some of the items are just placeholders promising content yet to come, the new Help Center represents a quantum leap forward. Up till now there have been various helpful resources available for both members and owners/moderators, but they have been scattered around, making it difficult to perform a systematic and comprehensive search. The Help Center now provides a central hub to facilitate such a focused search. Kudos for launching this, especially in such challenging times.

I suggest that you also include a link to the Group_Help home page next to the link to the Group Managers Forum in the intro. Even though that group doesn't yet enjoy as much popularity as GMF, it is still a valuable resource for issues that affect most members versus the special needs of owners & moderators.

Robert R.

On 3/24/20 1:46 PM, Mark Fletcher wrote:

I've put up an alpha version of the new help center, here: https://groups.io/helpcenter

Please let me know what you think.

Thanks, Mark

Marv Waschke

The new help center looks good. As helpful as a help center should be. Clear and straightforward. Well organized.
Notes:

Liked the glossary tool tips.

"Settings for Groups.io features" section: "Files", "Photos", and "Polls" xrefs are dead. I didn't test all the xrefs in the doc, only stumbled on these three.

"Moderating individual members" section: Perhaps mention that a member on moderation is still able to upload files without moderator intervention if, in general, members are allowed to upload files. (I think that is true-- I haven't tried it, but it was discussed recently.) I would like to know about the behavior if I were dealing with a difficult member.

Best, Marv