Missing +1 email command (Like) info from the User Manual #suggestion

Hi Nina,

The email version of clicking the Like button online is not documented in the User manual, and there only a somewhat-cryptic one-liner mention of it in the Owner's manual, and in the Enterprize group section no less, which most folks don't read:

Disable +1 Functionality
Select this checkbox to disable the automatic conversion of +1 email messages to likes.

Many folks have no idea the feature exists (meself included up to only a few months ago).  Here's the latest instance this was mentioned:
https://beta.groups.io/g/main/message/29593

A small paragraph about it in the User manual could be helpful.  Come to think about it, there's even no mention at all of the (online) "Like' functionality itself anywhere in the User manual, so this could be a good opportunity to add Like info somewhere, maybe in the "Working with messages" section.

Thanks and Cheers,
Christos

My question is whether only Enterprise groups can disable this.

On Jun 3, 2021, at 10:48 AM, Christos G. Psarras <christos@...> wrote:

[...]

Duane

On Thu, Jun 3, 2021 at 12:53 PM, J_Catlady wrote:
My question is whether only Enterprise groups can disable this.
Yes, there's no Enterprise Settings panel for the other types which is where the control is.

Duane

That’s why I asked. Christos’s message seemed to imply that the fact that the “disable” option is documented only for Enterprise groups is a mistake. But it’s not a mistake to document it only there if only Enterprise groups have the option.

On Jun 3, 2021, at 11:27 AM, Duane <txpigeon@...> wrote:

On Thu, Jun 3, 2021 at 12:53 PM, J_Catlady wrote:
My question is whether only Enterprise groups can disable this.
Yes, there's no Enterprise Settings panel for the other types which is where the control is.

Duane

Bruce Bowman

If I understand correctly, Christos asked that the processes involved in "liking" a message be enhanced in the Members Manual.

I don't see any request to alter the Owners Manual.

Bruce

Right, I wasn’t clear about that. He can speak for himself, of course. I understood him saying that the reference in the Enterprise manual was insufficient because most people don’t read it.

On Jun 4, 2021, at 5:32 AM, Bruce Bowman <bruce.bowman@...> wrote:

If I understand correctly, Christos asked that the processes involved in "liking" a message be enhanced in the Members Manual.

I don't see any request to alter the Owners Manual.

Bruce

Nina E

Thank you for the comments, everyone. I'll check with Mark and make any necessary updates/additions to the documentation.

- Nina

Maybe some things should be, like, little secrets. Maybe don't ever document it. That would be fun! 😊

😄

Maybe some things should be, like, little secrets. Maybe don't ever document it. That would be fun! 😊

On Fri, Jun 4, 2021 at 6:43 AM Nina E <nina.eppes@...> wrote:

Thank you for the comments, everyone. I'll check with Mark and make any necessary updates/additions to the documentation.

In the Members Manual, I added a topic called Using the Like feature under Working with group messages.

Thank you for the feedback!

- Nina

I just Liked that via email!

On Jun 11, 2021, at 6:29 AM, Nina E <nina.eppes@...> wrote:

In the Members Manual, I added a topic called Using the Like feature under Working with group messages.

Thank you for the feedback!

Cool! And I liked your reply by email! :-)

- Nina

In the Members Manual, I added a topic called Using the Like feature under Working with group messages.

Thank you for the feedback!

- Nina

Haha. OT, but yesterday a cat knocked over a full cup of tea onto my brand new (3-week-old) computer and it was hosed instantly. Needs nearly every part replaced. Luckily I have the extended warranty, which includes "accidental damage" (although a good prosecutor could make a case that the cat did not act accidentally;). So I'm only half up-and-running on the old computer, which thankfully I didn't just toss into the junk heap, and using my phone a lot more, on which email is just easier.:)

On Fri, Jun 11, 2021 at 8:10 AM Nina E <nina.eppes@...> wrote:

Cool! And I liked your reply by email! :-)

- Nina

In the Members Manual, I added a topic called Using the Like feature under Working with group messages.

Thank you for the feedback!

- Nina

Andy Wedge

On Fri, Jun 11, 2021 at 02:29 PM, Nina E wrote:
In the Members Manual, I added a topic called Using the Like feature under Working with group messages.
Well, I didn't know you could use the word 'like' instead of +1.  It's always good to learn something new.

Andy

Me neither!

On Fri, Jun 11, 2021 at 9:13 AM Andy Wedge <andy_wedge@...> wrote:
On Fri, Jun 11, 2021 at 02:29 PM, Nina E wrote:
In the Members Manual, I added a topic called Using the Like feature under Working with group messages.
Well, I didn't know you could use the word 'like' instead of +1.  It's always good to learn something new.

Andy

Hi Nina,

Awesome!  It works great!

I do have a (pedantic?) suggestion though, I'd personally enhance this:

... +1 or the word like as the text of your reply...

... +1 or the word like as the only or first line text of your reply...

The only reason I suggest that is to head-off anyone possibly inserting the +1/Like into any other position, which I don't know if it would work; I didn't test that but I suspect it probably won't*.  When I did my two like reply tests, I did not trim the quoted text (on purpose) but I did place the +1/Like at the top.  Someone may insert a +1/Like under a specific paragraph to indicate they like that part resulting in an unwanted message posted to the group, you never know.

* just as I was getting ready to click Send on this reply, it just occurred to me, I can use this reply to test if it works in any other position, hence these two lines:

+1
Like

Cheers,
Christos

Confirmed, it doesn't work if it's not the only text, or at the top of the reply if quoted/other text exists.

>>> * just as I was getting ready to click Send on this reply, it just occurred to me, I can use this reply to test if it works in any other position, hence these two lines:

Cheers,
Christos

I think “the text” implies clearly enough that it’s the only text.

On Jun 11, 2021, at 10:47 AM, Christos G. Psarras <christos@...> wrote:

[...]

I agree 100%, it's technically correct, but on the other hand, my experience has taught me that when dealing with users of all levels of knowledge (or common sense), it pays to be explicit/precise.

Cheers,
Christos

On 2021-06-11 14:20, J_Catlady via groups.io wrote:
I think “the text” implies clearly enough that it’s the only text.

Christos,
I'll go further. I actually think adding those extra words would create, rather than remove, confusion.:-(