Member Manual #suggestion for "Search for messages by #suggestion #hashtags

Joe Keliher

Edited

Current Member manual implies that use of Hashtag dropdown is the same for Topics and Messages pages: it says:

  • "On the Topics page or Messages page, click the Hashtags button at the top of the page and select a hashtag from the dropdown list."

But the hashtag dropdown appears and works differently on Topics vs Messages Pages
On the Messages page, dropdown appears and works very simply: click on a hashtag and only messages with that hashtag instantly appear.
You can only click on 1 hashtag.
  Dropdown appears like this:

But on the Topics page, dropdown has check boxes to left of each hashtag, with 3 states: open white box, "Checked" blue box,  and "Dash" blue box.
nothing happens immediately after you check a Hashtag check box -- you must scroll to the bottom on the Hashtag dropdown and click "Search"
This is a handy feature allowing search with more that 1 tag
BUT scroll to the bottom is NOT Obvious for groups with many hashtags since the "Search" button is hidden until your scroll to bottom of list.
  I didn't  know what I was supposed to do next after clicking on a check box - until I tried is on the Docs group that has only 3 hashtags!!!!.
Currently The Dropdown is very narrow  causing lot of line wrapping like this:

The narrow dropdown box is a bug that should be fixed because this makes the list very long if there are long descriptions for each hastag.

So my suggestion (request) is to add explanation of how to use check boxes that appear on Hashtag dropdown only on the Topics Page.
a) what's the difference between full "Check" and a "Dash-check"
b) when you check more than one hashtag, is the boolean search "AND" or "OR" ?

Thank you
Joe Keliher,  PerkasieGardenClub group owner

Nina E

 I updated the Members Manual to reflect the current (at this writing) Hashtags dropdown, which, as of Feb. 7, is the same on both the Topics page and the Messages page.

- Nina