Topics

Getting Started Guide for Group Owners available for review

Nina E

Hi, everyone. At Mark’s request, I’ve put together a getting started guide for group owners. If anyone in this group is interested and available to take a look before it’s released to the general public, I’d welcome comments. (Know that it is considerably smaller than the Group Owners Manual. :-) ) You can access HTML and PDF versions through this link: https://groups.io/helpcenter/gettingstarted

We plan to make the guide available to everyone at the end of next week.

Thank you in advance for any feedback!

Regards,

Nina

Bruce Bowman

Nina -- There should be an entry for establishing Default Sub Settings. If nothing else, the time zone setting here must be correct before people are invited/added to the group.

Setting this is critical for groups where everyone is located in the same place and the calendar is in use. Many situations have arisen where this was not done and subscribers had difficulty managing their calendars (receiving "late" reminders and so on) because their accounts ended up on Pacific time while the group itself was on something else.

Regards,
Bruce

Duane

A couple of additional suggestions:

Introduction

Amend bullet 2
"or restricted group, or other combinations of settings."

bullet 7
change to "Approve or reject messages..."

Duane

Marv Waschke

After all the discussion on succession in the GMF, I suggest adding something like the new sentence in italics below:

"It is a good idea to have at least one additional owner for your group as backup in case you become unavailable or incapacitated. If you are the sole owner of your group, the group will have difficulty continuing without you and have to be abandoned or completely re-established under a new owner. You also might want to have additional moderators, depending on your group’s size and activity level, to help you manage the group. Moderators can have different sets of permissions, so you can assign specific permissions to different people if you want them to handle only certain moderation activities."

Best, Marv

ro-esp

On Fri, Jul 31, 2020 at 04:48 PM, Marv Waschke wrote:

"It is a good idea to have at least one additional owner for your group as
backup in case you become unavailable or incapacitated. If you are the sole
owner of your group, the group will have difficulty continuing without you and
have to be abandoned or completely re-established under a new owner.
That would be an exaggeration. If you have a *moderator* with all the necessary privileges, a group can do fine without an owner. Appointing a second *owner* only means you can be booted out of your own group.

Iḿ thinking along the line of: if you want the group to continue, appoint at least one moderator (and don't assign the privilege of deleting the group). If you don't assign a moderator, it will be assumed that you don't want the group to go on after your demise.

I'm not sure it's possible to give a moderator the privilege of deleting the group without the other moderating tasks...

groetjes/ĝis, Ronaldo

Bob Bellizzi

Where did you find a check mark for a Moderator to Delete a group?
As owner, I just went throught Moderators' abilities and couldn't find any such ability.
Such a privilege is only an owner's
--
Bob Bellizzi

Nina E

My thanks to those who provided feedback and comments on the Getting Started Guide for Group Owners to date. I’ve updated the guide accordingly, and the updated draft is available at https://groups.io/helpcenter/gettingstarted. Mark plans to make the guide available from the Help Center home page this Friday, Aug. 7.

Thank you again! And additional feedback is always welcome.

- Nina

Andy Wedge

On Wed, Aug 5, 2020 at 10:43 PM, Nina E wrote:
And additional feedback is always welcome.
Hi Nina,

some additional feedback:

  • On the Introduction page, the bullet point list of features mentions 'Chat rooms' but it it is just referred to as 'Chats' on the left side menu and within Admin > Settings > Features panel,  and in Step 4 > Group Settings of this manual
  • In Step 1, I read the opening sentence as though it was a question so I was expecting to see a question mark at the end 'So, you want to create a group on Groups.io?'
  • In Step 4, Group Settings there is no mention about storage limits and what to do when they are reached. Questions have been raised frequently on this subject so getting new group owners to consider this from the outset may be beneficial.
  • In Step 5, the bullet point about the Welcome note makes it seem as though you have a choice between the Groups.io note or your own.  Groups.io will always send the canned Welcome note (which can be customised to some extent) and you can also add a Welcome note of your own if you wish.
  • In Step 5, the reference to the GroupManagersForum does not have a hyperlink like the reference in Step 3 (I haven't checked to try and work out what the standard is)
  • In Step 10, there's no mention that the Direct Add feature is available if you upgrade a Basic group. It just makes it sound as though you have to create a Premium or Enterprise group from the outset to get that feature. Perhaps it could say 'If you created a paid Premium or Enterprise group, or upgrade a Basic group for at least one month, you can add people...'

Regards,
Andy

Nina E

Thanks, Andy. I incorporated (most of :-) ) your comments.

- Nina

On Thu, Aug 6, 2020 at 06:29 AM, Andy Wedge wrote:
Hi Nina,

some additional feedback: