Topics

FAQ URL malfunction


West Coast Compañeros Staff
 

In the Groups.io Help Center FAQ section (both in the PDF and the web-page version) there is a URL that does not go to the intended page. In the Group member FAQ, in the answer to the second question ("I am not receiving email messages . . ."), the URL is intended to point to the Recent Bounces page under the member's Account section. Instead, it goes to the top-level Account page.

The URL is https://groups.io/account?page=bounces, which breaks over into a second line. (I thought at first that the line break might be breaking the URL, but that seems to be a red herring.) That URL points correctly to the Recent Bounces page. When hovering over the URL, however, the equal sign is displayed as %253D, which seems to be the equivalent of the equal sign for CGI. In my browsers on my Mac laptop, that URL is misdirected to the Account page.

It would be helpful if someone else could verify what I'm reporting. It may be a Mac thing. In any case, I think the problem would go away if the source document were edited so that the URL used the equal sign (=} itself rather than the %253D encoding. Also, introducing the line break before the URL would be a cosmetic improvement.

Robert R.



--
MacBook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Mid 2015)

macOS Mojave version 10.4.6
Firefox Version 75.0 / Google Chrome Version 81.0
iPhone XR 64 GB
iOS 13.4


Duane
 

On Thu, Apr 9, 2020 at 05:21 PM, West Coast Compañeros Staff wrote:

The URL is https://groups.io/account?page=bounces, which breaks over into a second line.

Looks exactly like that on hover for me - PC/Firefox - online (no break in the line while online)

When hovering over the URL, however, the equal sign is displayed as %253D

The address bar on the actual page shows https://groups.io/account?page%3Dbounces when using the online link and is the main account page.  I get the %253D as a preview hovering within the PDF and in the resulting address bar, but is also the main account page.

Duane


Malcolm Austen
 

On Thu, 09 Apr 2020 23:21:20 +0100, West Coast Compañeros Staff <westcoastcompaneros@...> wrote:

It would be helpful if someone else could verify what I'm reporting. It may be a Mac thing. In any case, I think the problem would go away if the source document were edited so that the URL used the equal sign (=} itself rather than the %253D encoding. Also, introducing the line break before the URL would be a cosmetic improvement.

No, it's not a Mac thing. The PDF generation is overdoing things by encoding the % in %3D as %25.

I, too, am unclear why the source document doesn't just use '=' - as it is being used for it's proper meaning as a special character in a URL, it doesn't seem to need encoding.

Malcolm.

--
Malcolm Austen <malcolm.austen@...>


 



On Thu, Apr 9, 2020 at 3:21 PM West Coast Compañeros Staff <westcoastcompaneros@...> wrote:

In the Groups.io Help Center FAQ section (both in the PDF and the web-page version) there is a URL that does not go to the intended page. In the Group member FAQ, in the answer to the second question ("I am not receiving email messages . . ."), the URL is intended to point to the Recent Bounces page under the member's Account section. Instead, it goes to the top-level Account page.



This should be fixed now.

Thanks,
Mark 


West Coast Compañeros Staff
 

On Fri, Apr 10, 2020 at 09:24 AM, Mark Fletcher wrote:
This should be fixed now.
 
The link in both the web version of the FAQ and the PDF now work as intended. Thanks for the quick action.

Robert R.