error in documentation

Henry Schaffer <hes@...>

At

[emailname]@[domain.com]

<Member Name> [emailname]@[domain.com]

For the second one shouldn't it be the email address in angle brackets?

On the Invite page it says

But on the invite page is says

Emails can be of the form:

email@...

Name <email@...>

and that one with the email address in angle brackets does work and is consistent with other addressing practices.

--henry

Henry wrote:

At
https://groups.io/helpcenter/ownersmanual/1/inviting-people-to-join-a-group
For the second one shouldn't it be the email address in angle
brackets?
Correct.

In addition, I'd strongly recommend not using [square brackets] to delimit substitution parts, as a novice may easily confuse them for part of the required syntax.

Let the words stand for themselves.

Also, the accepted form for an example domain is example.com - it is reserved so that it will never resolve to anywhere unfortunate. Using domain.com is a mistake as that is a company's actual domain name (which, appropriately enough, hosts a whois lookup).
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Example.com

In this context, I don't think it is helpful to separate the invitee's email address into username and domain parts - it would be clearer to leave it together as an email address, even though the @ is a syntax part (so is the "." for that matter).

Possibly the note could also say something about substituting the invitee's actual information for "Member Name" and "username@example.com" - but that may be unnecessary clutter.

Shal

Nina E

Thank you for the corrections and suggestions submitted in this topic. I incorporated them in the October 30/31 update. (The PDF is dated October 30 because that's when I made the updates and submitted them to Mark; the HTML pages in the Help Center are dated October 31 because that's when Mark published them.)

- Nina

West Coast Compañeros Staff

We appreciate all your good work, Nina.

Robert

On 10/31/20 7:59 AM, Nina E wrote:
Thank you for the corrections and suggestions submitted in this topic. I incorporated them in the October 30/31 update. (The PDF is dated October 30 because that's when I made the updates and submitted them to Mark; the HTML pages in the Help Center are dated October 31 because that's when Mark published them.)

MacBook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Mid 2015)
macOS Catalina version 10.15.7
Firefox Version 77.0 / Google Chrome Version 85.0.4183.121

iPhone XR 64 GB
iOS 14.0.1