Documentation on approving and rejecting members/subscriptions

1. I can't find a section about rejecting a membership/subscription - in particular, the 14-day drop-off. I was about to report a bug because the 14-day limit didn't cause the pending member to be deleted. Then I thought, "Maybe it's because I claimed the pending member." So decided to look in the docs, but found nothing in general about approving or rejecting pending members/subscriptions. So now I'm wondering whether the 14-day thing even applies or if I just imagined it, etc. etc. etc. Should be some documentation on approving/rejecting pending members/subscriptions. Maybe I'm looking in the wrong place?

2. In the above I kept feeling that I had to write "members/subscriptions," because the terminology in the docs is inconsistent. There's a section called "removed member" and a section called "rejected subscription." I was looking for "rejected member." I would like to see use of "subscription" vs. "member" or "membership" be more consistent.

On Sun, May 2, 2021 at 06:31 AM, J_Catlady wrote:
There's a section called "removed member" and a section called "rejected subscription."
should read
There's a section in the section on member notices called "removed member" and a section called "rejected subscription."

Duane

On Sun, May 2, 2021 at 08:31 AM, J_Catlady wrote:
1. I can't find a section about rejecting a membership/subscription - in particular, the 14-day drop-off.
That's covered in https://groups.io/helpcenter/ownersmanual/1/managing-members/handling-pending-members under the Overview section, specifically the Note: area.  It also covers approving, rejecting, and claiming.

Duane

Thanks, Duane.

On May 2, 2021, at 6:40 AM, Duane <txpigeon@...> wrote:

On Sun, May 2, 2021 at 08:31 AM, J_Catlady wrote:
1. I can't find a section about rejecting a membership/subscription - in particular, the 14-day drop-off.
That's covered in https://groups.io/helpcenter/ownersmanual/1/managing-members/handling-pending-members under the Overview section, specifically the Note: area.  It also covers approving, rejecting, and claiming.

Duane

I think that in this case, as well as possibly some (even many) others, the word "handling" as the beginning of a section title is less than descriptive and could be more specific. Many sections' titles start with the word "handling." In this case, I was searching the document for "approving" or "rejecting" and only found titles containing those for messages, not members. Even if the word "handling" were removed from many of these sections, if would be easier to find what you're looking for - e.g., just "pending members" (or "subscriptions" - again, this is inconsistent and somewhat confusing in titles, when one is searching) instead of "handling pending members." Because the fact that you are "handling x, y, or z is a given. The word "handling" doesn't add any information.

On Sun, May 2, 2021 at 09:51 AM, J_Catlady wrote:
In this case, I was searching the document for "approving" or "rejecting" and only found titles containing those for messages, not members.
When I'm looking for something in the manuals, I either use the single page view or the PDF, then use the search function.  Hasn't failed me yet.  Once I got familiar with the manuals, the titles made more sense.

Duane

I still think titles could be clearer and cleaner. The ones starting with "managing" x, y, or z have the same issue as "handling." And grouping sections by the word "handling" or "managing," when alphabetical, doesn't seem helpful.

On Sun, May 2, 2021 at 8:44 AM Duane <txpigeon@...> wrote:
On Sun, May 2, 2021 at 09:51 AM, J_Catlady wrote:
In this case, I was searching the document for "approving" or "rejecting" and only found titles containing those for messages, not members.
When I'm looking for something in the manuals, I either use the single page view or the PDF, then use the search function.  Hasn't failed me yet.  Once I got familiar with the manuals, the titles made more sense.

FYI, the link URLs in the HTML versions of the manuals currently are generated from the topic titles, so changing titles will change the URLs and break any links to those topics from outside the manuals (I can, of course, update internal links). If/when there comes a time when Mark is able to generate non-title-based links (permalinks) to the topics in the manuals, I’ll take these comments under advisement.

Thank you for the feedback.

- Nina