Billing questions #suggestion

Bruce Bowman

Nina -- Per recent discussions in GMF, the system help is a little light on how the billing process actually works. There's discussion on how to upgrade/downgrade, but that's about it...nothing on how to maintain card information on a per-group basis (vs per-account), when renewal notifications are sent, what happens if a card fails, etc.

Is this captured somewhere else? If not, could we beef this up somewhere in the Owner's Manual?

Thanks,
Bruce

On Tue, Jul 20, 2021 at 7:51 AM Bruce Bowman <bruce.bowman@...> wrote:
Nina -- Per recent discussions in GMF, the system help is a little light on how the billing process actually works. There's discussion on how to upgrade/downgrade, but that's about it...nothing on how to maintain card information on a per-group basis (vs per-account), when renewal notifications are sent, what happens if a card fails, etc.

I don't believe this is discussed in detail anywhere. Here are some quick answers.

Credit cards are associated with user accounts, not groups, so if you have multiple groups and need multiple credit cards, you'll need to have different owner accounts for each group.

You can update your credit card by going to your Account and selecting the Billing tab.

Groups billed annually get an email 14 days in advance of the next billing, giving a heads up. Monthly billed groups do not get a heads up email in advance.

During the billing process, if a card fails, the payor of the group gets sent an email. They have 14 days to fix the issue and pay the overdue invoice. They are also warned after 7 days. On the 14th day, they get an email saying the group has been downgraded.

If the group is a premium/enterprise group, and the user who was the payor has deleted his account, on the day the group is to be billed, we send an email to all the owners of the group telling them someone needs to become the payor for the group. There is the same 14 day window to fix this. We also warn after 7 days.

We do not retry billing a group for a given month. If there's an issue, the payor must manually pay the overdue invoice, in the Billing tab on the website.

Trial groups are sent a heads up email 7 days before their trial is up. They are also sent an email when the trial is up and we downgrade them to free.

Groups are billed on the day of the month that they originally upgraded their account. Some months are longer than others. Until a month ago, we did not handle this well. Say your bill day was the 31st of the month, and it's February. The algorithm ended up not billing you at all for February, and instead billed you on the 3rd of March (or 2nd if a leap year). That then became your new billing day. I fixed the algorithm last month for new groups. Now, if your billing day is the 31st, and you're being billed on a shorter month, you end up getting billed on the last day of that month. But your billing day doesn't move (so you'd be billed on the 31st of the following month).

Mark

Cal

I was the one who asked the question in GMF earlier today, and Bruce suggested the I come over to the docs list and ask it here, since Mark is here:

I have two accounts (we'll call them joe@... and joseph@...), one with a Visa card, and one with a MasterCard.  For reasons that I won't go into, I recently switched the cards on the two accounts (see below).

One of my groups is on an annual premium status, created by joe@....  I needed to switch the CC that was on joe@ to joseph@.  How do I tell the system that, when the time comes for that annual payment to be due, to still use the same CC that was used last year, but now is listed as the CC for joseph@ (and no longer joe@ ?

Originally:
joe@... had MasterCard
joseph@... had Visa

Now:
joe@... has Visa
joseph@... has MasterCard

Group A, created by joe@... was paid for by MasterCard.  I want Group A to still be paid for by that MasterCard, even though that card is now listed for joseph@...

Both joe@... and joseph@... are members, both are owner, though I could make one a moderator if need be.

Nina E

Thanks, Bruce, for the suggestion and thanks, Mark, for the details. I’ll update the Owners Manual when I have the chance. (Mark knows this, but for everyone else’s info: I’m leaving on a road trip tomorrow [July 21] and will be away for a few weeks. :-) )

- Nina

On Tue, Jul 20, 2021 at 10:56 AM Cal <mainevent@...> wrote:
I was the one who asked the question in GMF earlier today, and Bruce suggested the I come over to the docs list and ask it here, since Mark is here:

I have two accounts (we'll call them joe@... and joseph@...), one with a Visa card, and one with a MasterCard.  For reasons that I won't go into, I recently switched the cards on the two accounts (see below).

One of my groups is on an annual premium status, created by joe@....  I needed to switch the CC that was on joe@ to joseph@.  How do I tell the system that, when the time comes for that annual payment to be due, to still use the same CC that was used last year, but now is listed as the CC for joseph@ (and no longer joe@ ?

To change the payor to joseph, the joseph account must be an owner of the group. Then, as joseph, go to the Billing tab under Admin. If joseph isn't currently the payor, there will be a button labeled `Set me as payor`. Click that to make the change.

Thanks,
Mark