Topics

Additional Member Manual Suggestions

Duane

Based on PDF dated May 15, 2020

I believe the information pages, currently numbered 9-85, should be renumbered 1-77, while leaving the previous numbers as i-viii.  This would follow a more standard method of numbering pages.  Acrobat handles this by showing the defined page number as well as the overall page number.

3.5
Header (Joining a group by email) has a bunch of links attached.

[groupname]+subscribe@groups.io has a link (subscribe@groups.io)

14
Add to note
From the directory, you can send an email to another member. Limited to 2 per day to a specific person, 10 per day total per group. (ref https://beta.groups.io/g/main/message/16607)

17.5
Where it says "changing the owner (owners or moderators only)," is currently incorrect due to a bug, https://beta.groups.io/g/main/topic/70995249  The member that uploaded the photo can change ownership to someone else.

17.10
Header has extra spaces before "Deleting Albums".

Duane

On Sat, May 16, 2020 at 08:07 AM, Duane wrote:
3.5
Header (Joining a group by email) has a bunch of links attached.

[groupname]+subscribe@groups.io has a link (subscribe@groups.io)
In case anyone else notices this, there's a Preference in Acrobat that makes these appear because there are implied Mailto: addresses seen and it's linkifying them.  General, Basic Tools, "Create links from URLs" can be turned off if it bothers you.  Acrobat remembers from session to session, so it won't create links on other documents either.  Unfortunately, there's no way to set it on or off for a specific document.

Duane

West Coast Compañeros Staff

On 5/21/20 9:26 AM, Duane wrote:
On Sat, May 16, 2020 at 08:07 AM, Duane wrote:
3.5
Header (Joining a group by email) has a bunch of links attached.

[groupname]+subscribe@groups.io has a link (subscribe@groups.io)
In case anyone else notices this, there's a Preference in Acrobat that makes these appear because there are implied Mailto: addresses seen and it's linkifying them.  General, Basic Tools, "Create links from URLs" can be turned off if it bothers you.  Acrobat remembers from session to session, so it won't create links on other documents either.  Unfortunately, there's no way to set it on or off for a specific document.

Duane

I publish and securely distribute via PDF a members' directory for our organization that includes members' e-mail addresses that are intentionally "linkified." There is also a section that describes our online activities, with subscription links to our main announcements group and various subgroups. When I first started doing this, I discovered an idiosyncrasy in the way MS Word generates these PDF links. The plus sign (+) in an e-mail address causes the text preceding the plus sign to be omitted. So groupname+subscribe@groups.io becomes subscribe@groups.io.

I figured out a workaround for this problem, which may be of help to Nina and/or Mark, even if they are not using Word for the Help Center documents. There may be analogous functionality in their editor. When an e-mail address contains a plus sign, I enter the address as mailto:groupname+subscribe@groups.io. Since I don't want the text "mailto:" to appear in the PDF, I set the font color for that string to white, which becomes invisible on a white background.

Robert R.

--
MacBook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Mid 2015)
macOS Mojave version 10.4.6

iPhone XR 64 GB
iOS 13.4

Duane

On Thu, May 21, 2020 at 12:43 PM, West Coast Compañeros Staff wrote:
e-mail addresses that are intentionally "linkified."
The problem here is that these (and others I didn't notice before) shouldn't be links, but Acrobat takes it upon itself to make them links unless the setting I mentioned is turned off.  There's been no problem that I've seen with intentional links.

These suggestions and corrections were incorporated in the May 22 release of the Members Manual. (Apologies for the belated reply.)

Thank you for the feedback!

- Nina

From the directory, you can send an email to another member. Limited to 2 per day to a specific person, 10 per day total per group. (ref https://beta.groups.io/g/main/message/16607)