Add information on result of banning a domain #suggestion

The help page on banning domains specifies how to ban a domain but it gives no information on the result (error message? whatever) on the side of the user from the banned domain. It would be helpful to add this info because it's very difficult to test to find out.

This morning someone from a banned domain tried to apply to my group, which I found out through the log. His email address had also been banned, but he evidently was not logged in at the time he tried to apply, so he was able to see and click on the Apply for Membership in This Group button. I know that had he been logged in, the button simply would not have appeared and he would have been unable to apply. What I would like to know is what kind of error message he received, if any, after the system recognized that his domain was banned and logged his failed attempt. I know that it must have sent him something, since right after his attempt he emailed me privately to beg for admission to the group. This does not seem to be documented.

Meanwhile, can anyone here tell me the answer? If an email address from a banned domain applies for membership in a group, what do they receive?

Thanks.

Lol I just read that back. I don’t mean the begging is undocumented. 🤣

😄

[...]

The Banning domains from a group topic in the Owners Manual now contains a note about what someone who’s not logged in and who tries to join a group from a banned domain sees (a notice that states “You are not allowed to subscribe to the group with that domain”).

Thanks for the feedback!

- Nina

[...]

Thanks, Nina, both for the info and for adding it to the docs! Realizing what the banned member saw that day goes a long way towards understanding his begging lol.

On Sat, Jan 23, 2021 at 7:50 AM Nina E <nina.eppes@...> wrote:

[...]

I just checked out the new text, and while I was at it, I also looked at the section on banning members individually. It would be helpful to add similar information there, about the effect on a groups.io account holder of banning them from a particular group (namely, they see the join/apply button if and only if they're logged in, etc,).

On Sat, Jan 23, 2021 at 10:16 AM, J_Catlady wrote:
It would be helpful to add similar information there, about the effect on a groups.io account holder of banning them from a particular group (namely, they see the join/apply button if and only if they're logged in, etc,).
If they're logged in on the email/account that's banned, I don't think they can even get to the group home page.

Duane

Duane, you're right. I just tested that. Which just proves that this needs to be documented. :)

On Sat, Jan 23, 2021 at 8:31 AM Duane <txpigeon@...> wrote:
On Sat, Jan 23, 2021 at 10:16 AM, J_Catlady wrote:
It would be helpful to add similar information there, about the effect on a groups.io account holder of banning them from a particular group (namely, they see the join/apply button if and only if they're logged in, etc,).
If they're logged in on the email/account that's banned, I don't think they can even get to the group home page.

Duane

But unfortunately, a weird error message is displayed. I/you/we might suggest updating that error message on beta.

On Sat, Jan 23, 2021 at 8:41 AM J_Catlady via groups.io <j.olivia.catlady=gmail.com@groups.io> wrote:
Duane, you're right. I just tested that. Which just proves that this needs to be documented. :)

On Sat, Jan 23, 2021 at 8:31 AM Duane <txpigeon@...> wrote:
On Sat, Jan 23, 2021 at 10:16 AM, J_Catlady wrote:
It would be helpful to add similar information there, about the effect on a groups.io account holder of banning them from a particular group (namely, they see the join/apply button if and only if they're logged in, etc,).
If they're logged in on the email/account that's banned, I don't think they can even get to the group home page.

I added notes about the effects of banning on a member to the Banning a member section under Banning and unbanning members in the Owners Manual. Mark fixed the weird error that J mentioned (I encountered it, too, during my testing).

Thanks for the feedback!

- Nina

But unfortunately, a weird error message is displayed. I/you/we might suggest updating that error message on beta.

On Sat, Jan 23, 2021 at 8:41 AM J_Catlady via groups.io <j.olivia.catlady=gmail.com@groups.io> wrote:

Duane, you're right. I just tested that. Which just proves that this needs to be documented. :)

On Sat, Jan 23, 2021 at 8:31 AM Duane <txpigeon@...> wrote:

On Sat, Jan 23, 2021 at 10:16 AM, J_Catlady wrote:

It would be helpful to add similar information there, about the effect on a groups.io account holder of banning them from a particular group (namely, they see the join/apply button if and only if they're logged in, etc,).

If they're logged in on the email/account that's banned, I don't think they can even get to the group home page.

Duane

Great, Nina, thanks! I saw Mark’s beta update about the fix and wondered whether it was related to my comment. “Weird errors” should always be fixed. 😊

As you may have seen, I just posted in beta about whether or not what happens when someone with a banned domain tries to subscribe is actually what we want to happen. I’m not sure about it. That’s obviously a discussion for beta, but just wanted to connect all the dots here.

[...]

You're welcome! I did see your post on beta about the messaging when a domain is banned and will monitor it. :-)

- Nina