Event information fields for calendar events #suggestion

Nina E

Mark subsequently confirmed that Groups.io actually does create a Google Maps link from the Location field, so I added that info to the table entry for the Event Information panel in the Members Manual. Thanks, Andy!

- Nina

On Fri, Jul 29, 2022 at 10:35 PM, Andy Wedge wrote:
On Fri, Jul 29, 2022 at 11:18 PM, Nina E wrote:
Mark told me that Groups.io doesn't pass any information to Google Maps from the Location field, so I didn't mention that. (He said he wasn't sure what you were referring to, but it's not anything that Groups.io is doing.)
It creates a link to Google Maps just like it creates a mailto: link for an email address:

Andy Wedge

On Fri, Jul 29, 2022 at 11:18 PM, Nina E wrote:
Mark told me that Groups.io doesn't pass any information to Google Maps from the Location field, so I didn't mention that. (He said he wasn't sure what you were referring to, but it's not anything that Groups.io is doing.)
It creates a link to Google Maps just like it creates a mailto: link for an email address:

Regards
Andy

Nina E

On Mon, Jun 13, 2022 at 07:33 AM, Andy Wedge wrote:
In the section Adding Calendar Events, the member's manual just say that the event information panel fields are optional. I think it would be helpful to include a note about the fact that Groups.io will pass the Location field contents to Google Maps to show the precise location. It will also create mailto: and tel: links for the email address and phone number fields.  Using these fields wisely can really simplify finding an event location or contacting an event organiser.
I updated the table entry for the Event Information panel fields; however, Mark told me that Groups.io doesn't pass any information to Google Maps from the Location field, so I didn't mention that. (He said he wasn't sure what you were referring to, but it's not anything that Groups.io is doing.)

Thank you for the feedback.

- Nina

(Apologies for the delay in response. I was away on vacation for the past few weeks.)

Andy Wedge

Hi Nina,

In the section Adding Calendar Events, the member's manual just say that the event information panel fields are optional. I think it would be helpful to include a note about the fact that Groups.io will pass the Location field contents to Google Maps to show the precise location. It will also create mailto: and tel: links for the email address and phone number fields.  Using these fields wisely can really simplify finding an event location or contacting an event organiser.

Regards
Andy