Changing a subscribed email address

Lynne

Hello

This is my first post here, so please be patient with me.

As a group owner, the question most asked by members is how to change their subscribed address.  I realize this is covered in the User Manual  and I have a link to that manual in the footers of my group messages.  The problem is that it's not clear to members how to find the information they're seeking.  They're not looking for "account information", even though that's what it is, but are seeking "subscription information."

I was wondering if it would be possible to include the word "subscription" in the Setting or changing account login elements title to make it easier for members to find that information.

Thanks for considering this!

Lynne

Chris Jones

On Thu, Dec 30, 2021 at 04:21 PM, Lynne wrote:
They're not looking for "account information", even though that's what it is, but are seeking "subscription information."
Oh... a point to note is that a person's email address is the unique identifier for their Groups.io Account, not an individual subscription / membership of any given group. Changing a "subscribed address" changes the Account address for every membership a person has within that account. I suspect that trying to make the documentation match what your members are looking for might cause a lot of confusion.

It might be better - at least for now -  to raise this on the Group Managers Forum for a fuller discussion about this point.

Chris

Lynne

Hello Chris

I do understand what changing the address under Account does and that is what members of my groups wish to do.  They want to change the email address used by Groups.io for any and all groups to which they belong.  I bet there are thousands of members of email groups who don't think of "accounts," but think of "subscriptions."  I'm not saying that's right, just how it is.

I'm surprised that adding the word "subscription" to the Setting or changing account login elements heading would cause any confusion.  I think it would clarify the point of that section of the manual for many users and would make it easier to find the instructions within the manual. Perhaps adding "global subscription change" in parentheses would work?

The description of this group doesn't indicate that proposed changes be made to the GMF group first, so I didn't know I had to do that first.  Thank you for letting me know.

Lynne

Chris Jones

On Thu, Dec 30, 2021 at 05:26 PM, Lynne wrote:
The description of this group doesn't indicate that proposed changes be made to the GMF group first, so I didn't know I had to do that first.
Whoa... they don't require it! I was merely suggesting that GMF is a good place to discuss ideas before approaching Groups.io with them.

Another point; if someone searches the Members Manual for Change email then they will find the answer straight away. I suspect searching for "subject" information is always likely to be unhelpful.

Chris

Pete Cook

Lynne, I agree with Chris and I do think it's important to maintain consistent language. Rather than including the word "subscription" it might be more useful to explain the distinction between "account" and "subscription" in key places such as here .

Pete

Chris Jones

On Thu, Dec 30, 2021 at 09:54 PM, Peter Cook wrote:
...I do think it's important to maintain consistent language.
Exactly; it is a fundamental part of the way in which Groups.io works; a person's email address is an integral part of that person's Account, and IMHO nothing ought to be said / written which fuzzies the issue by seeming to ally the address with a group Membership / Subscription.

However, having done some more digging I think I have identified a possible (likely?) source of confusion in the way that the Manuals are Indexed, but as I am in the UK (i.e. a wildly different time zone!) I will not spend time now raising the matter - it can wait until tomorrow. (Now 11.00 pm UK time)

Chris

Chris Jones

On Thu, Dec 30, 2021 at 11:03 PM, I wrote:
I will not spend time now raising the matter - it can wait until tomorrow.
It is now well and truly "tomorrow, so here goes...

Earlier in this thread I wrote if someone searches the Members Manual for Change email then they will find the answer straight away and that is of course true, but one place where the term won't be found is in the Index! Changing the email address of an Account is just one of the points explained under the "Index Entry" of Setting account preferences and viewing account information. Now IMHO that is almost completely opaque as a means of telling members what is actually in there; to put it another way the inevitable consequence of an electronic search not finding "change email" in the Index is that a member doing a visual search of the Index will find nothing that relates directly to changing an account email address, and I can see that might (would?) be deeply frustrating for anyone trying it.

Perhaps Lynne's original point might be rewritten as "Change email address is not listed in the Index and it would help if it was". If that is a reasonable summary of what is required then I would definitely agree with it. A quick and easy fix might be to add an idented line under the existing index entry (or more correctly entries) thus:

Setting account preferences and viewing account information
          (Includes how to change the email address associated with an Account)

I have used the "on line" version in this example; the pdf version would be similar. The indented line would not necessarily need to be linked, although it might help.

I am still of the view that weakening the direct relationship between an Account and its email address by seeming to shift the relationship to one of a Membership (or Subscription) and an email address would not be the right thing to do.

Chris

Malcolm Austen

On Fri, 31 Dec 2021 16:28:45 -0000, Chris Jones via groups.io <chrisjones12@...> wrote:

On Thu, Dec 30, 2021 at 11:03 PM, I wrote:
Earlier in this thread I wrote if someone searches the Members Manual for Change email then they will find the answer straight away and that is of course true, but one place where the term won't be found is in the Index!

That, and this ...

Changing the email address of an Account is just one of the points explained under the "Index Entry" of Setting account preferences and viewing account information.

...bring their own issue of terminology.

The Member's Manual does not have an Index. It has a Table of Contents but not an Index.

The constant changes to the manuals would probably make an Index unworkable. Search is the substitute, not the ToC.

Malcolm.

--
Malcolm Austen - email: malcolm.austen@...

Chris Jones

On Fri, Dec 31, 2021 at 05:05 PM, Malcolm Austen wrote:
The Member's Manual does not have an Index. It has a Table of Contents but not an Index.
That is a very fair point, but my argument that Setting account preferences and viewing account information is opaque still stands. (As an aside one of the variants of each type of manual is listed as "Indexed", which is now doubtless something of a misnomer. It contains the same information but is differently formatted.)

Additionally, I am slightly puzzled why Merge accounts should be in the ToC while Change email is not.

The constant changes to the manuals would probably make an Index unworkable.

That certainly would be true is every appearance of a term was indexed, but need not be for "top level" use, e.g. Change email address.

Chris