Suggestion for the less-savvy users

Nina E

Thanks for the suggestions in this topic (and my apologies for taking this long to address them). Mark handles the content on the initial landing pages in the Help Center. He's updated the "View as a single page" and "View a PDF version" items at the top of those pages to include some info, wordsmithed by Yours Truly, about using the Find feature in web browsers and PDF readers.

- Nina

On 2021-02-13 15:22, Chris Jones via groups.io wrote:
I would have thought that Ctrl + F was sufficiently well - known for including it to be unnecessary.

Apparently not to some, my OP quote was from a beta topic.

Plus even for folks who do know about it, they still don't always make the connection because of the lack (so far) of the regular search box on that landing page and so they try Ctrl+F on that landing page and it doesn't work so it confuses them a bit.

All we're doing is giving them a hint.

Cheers,
Christos

Duane

On Sat, Feb 13, 2021 at 02:22 PM, Chris Jones wrote:
I would have thought that Ctrl + F was sufficiently well - known for including it to be unnecessary.
Probably not as well-known as it should be.  I have people that have trouble clicking on a link. ;>)

Duane

Chris Jones

On Sat, Feb 13, 2021 at 06:28 PM, Christos G. Psarras wrote:
Maybe append " (use Ctrl+F to search)" to the bullet texts or add another separate line or something.
I would have thought that Ctrl + F was sufficiently well - known for including it to be unnecessary.

Chris

Hi Nina,

We have pointed something like this a few times in the past to GMF/GH/beta posters:

> I have never been able to find a search feature within help.
For this you select the "single page" version of the help file, then use your browser search/find function, often CTRL+F.  If you have the pdf version, just use the search in the reader (also CTRL+F in Acrobat.)

My suggestion is to add something to that effect in the two bullets under the title, in the member manual at least, although there are also mods who are not that savvy, so we could also add it in the owner manual as well.

Maybe append " (use Ctrl+F to search)" to the bullet texts or add another separate line or something.

Thanks and cheers,
Christos