Date   

For the glossary #suggestion

Frances
 

Hi Nina

Can you please add "hamburger menu" to the glossary? Yesterday, that stymied a member on GMF and others have asked about it. 
Thanks!

Frances


Re: Billing questions #suggestion

 

On Tue, Jul 20, 2021 at 10:56 AM Cal <mainevent@...> wrote:
I was the one who asked the question in GMF earlier today, and Bruce suggested the I come over to the docs list and ask it here, since Mark is here: 

I have two accounts (we'll call them joe@... and joseph@...), one with a Visa card, and one with a MasterCard.  For reasons that I won't go into, I recently switched the cards on the two accounts (see below). 

One of my groups is on an annual premium status, created by joe@....  I needed to switch the CC that was on joe@ to joseph@.  How do I tell the system that, when the time comes for that annual payment to be due, to still use the same CC that was used last year, but now is listed as the CC for joseph@ (and no longer joe@ ?

To change the payor to joseph, the joseph account must be an owner of the group. Then, as joseph, go to the Billing tab under Admin. If joseph isn't currently the payor, there will be a button labeled `Set me as payor`. Click that to make the change.

Thanks,
Mark 


Re: Billing questions #suggestion

Nina E
 

Thanks, Bruce, for the suggestion and thanks, Mark, for the details. I’ll update the Owners Manual when I have the chance. (Mark knows this, but for everyone else’s info: I’m leaving on a road trip tomorrow [July 21] and will be away for a few weeks. :-) )

 

- Nina

 

From: docs@beta.groups.io <docs@beta.groups.io> On Behalf Of Mark Fletcher
Sent: Tuesday, July 20, 2021 12:47 PM
To: docs@beta.groups.io
Subject: Re: [docs] Billing questions #suggestion

 

On Tue, Jul 20, 2021 at 7:51 AM Bruce Bowman <bruce.bowman@...> wrote:

Nina -- Per recent discussions in GMF, the system help is a little light on how the billing process actually works. There's discussion on how to upgrade/downgrade, but that's about it...nothing on how to maintain card information on a per-group basis (vs per-account), when renewal notifications are sent, what happens if a card fails, etc.

I don't believe this is discussed in detail anywhere. Here are some quick answers.

 

Credit cards are associated with user accounts, not groups, so if you have multiple groups and need multiple credit cards, you'll need to have different owner accounts for each group. 

 

You can update your credit card by going to your Account and selecting the Billing tab. 

 

Groups billed annually get an email 14 days in advance of the next billing, giving a heads up. Monthly billed groups do not get a heads up email in advance.

 

During the billing process, if a card fails, the payor of the group gets sent an email. They have 14 days to fix the issue and pay the overdue invoice. They are also warned after 7 days. On the 14th day, they get an email saying the group has been downgraded.

 

If the group is a premium/enterprise group, and the user who was the payor has deleted his account, on the day the group is to be billed, we send an email to all the owners of the group telling them someone needs to become the payor for the group. There is the same 14 day window to fix this. We also warn after 7 days.

 

We do not retry billing a group for a given month. If there's an issue, the payor must manually pay the overdue invoice, in the Billing tab on the website.

 

Trial groups are sent a heads up email 7 days before their trial is up. They are also sent an email when the trial is up and we downgrade them to free.

 

Groups are billed on the day of the month that they originally upgraded their account. Some months are longer than others. Until a month ago, we did not handle this well. Say your bill day was the 31st of the month, and it's February. The algorithm ended up not billing you at all for February, and instead billed you on the 3rd of March (or 2nd if a leap year). That then became your new billing day. I fixed the algorithm last month for new groups. Now, if your billing day is the 31st, and you're being billed on a shorter month, you end up getting billed on the last day of that month. But your billing day doesn't move (so you'd be billed on the 31st of the following month).

 

Please let me know if you have any questions.

 

Thanks,
Mark


Re: Billing questions #suggestion

Cal
 

I was the one who asked the question in GMF earlier today, and Bruce suggested the I come over to the docs list and ask it here, since Mark is here: 

I have two accounts (we'll call them joe@... and joseph@...), one with a Visa card, and one with a MasterCard.  For reasons that I won't go into, I recently switched the cards on the two accounts (see below). 

One of my groups is on an annual premium status, created by joe@....  I needed to switch the CC that was on joe@ to joseph@.  How do I tell the system that, when the time comes for that annual payment to be due, to still use the same CC that was used last year, but now is listed as the CC for joseph@ (and no longer joe@ ?

Originally: 
joe@... had MasterCard 
joseph@... had Visa 

Now: 
joe@... has Visa
joseph@... has MasterCard 

Group A, created by joe@... was paid for by MasterCard.  I want Group A to still be paid for by that MasterCard, even though that card is now listed for joseph@...  

Both joe@... and joseph@... are members, both are owner, though I could make one a moderator if need be.


Re: Billing questions #suggestion

 

On Tue, Jul 20, 2021 at 7:51 AM Bruce Bowman <bruce.bowman@...> wrote:
Nina -- Per recent discussions in GMF, the system help is a little light on how the billing process actually works. There's discussion on how to upgrade/downgrade, but that's about it...nothing on how to maintain card information on a per-group basis (vs per-account), when renewal notifications are sent, what happens if a card fails, etc.

I don't believe this is discussed in detail anywhere. Here are some quick answers.

Credit cards are associated with user accounts, not groups, so if you have multiple groups and need multiple credit cards, you'll need to have different owner accounts for each group. 

You can update your credit card by going to your Account and selecting the Billing tab. 

Groups billed annually get an email 14 days in advance of the next billing, giving a heads up. Monthly billed groups do not get a heads up email in advance.

During the billing process, if a card fails, the payor of the group gets sent an email. They have 14 days to fix the issue and pay the overdue invoice. They are also warned after 7 days. On the 14th day, they get an email saying the group has been downgraded.

If the group is a premium/enterprise group, and the user who was the payor has deleted his account, on the day the group is to be billed, we send an email to all the owners of the group telling them someone needs to become the payor for the group. There is the same 14 day window to fix this. We also warn after 7 days.

We do not retry billing a group for a given month. If there's an issue, the payor must manually pay the overdue invoice, in the Billing tab on the website.

Trial groups are sent a heads up email 7 days before their trial is up. They are also sent an email when the trial is up and we downgrade them to free.

Groups are billed on the day of the month that they originally upgraded their account. Some months are longer than others. Until a month ago, we did not handle this well. Say your bill day was the 31st of the month, and it's February. The algorithm ended up not billing you at all for February, and instead billed you on the 3rd of March (or 2nd if a leap year). That then became your new billing day. I fixed the algorithm last month for new groups. Now, if your billing day is the 31st, and you're being billed on a shorter month, you end up getting billed on the last day of that month. But your billing day doesn't move (so you'd be billed on the 31st of the following month).

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Thanks,
Mark


Billing questions #suggestion

Bruce Bowman
 

Nina -- Per recent discussions in GMF, the system help is a little light on how the billing process actually works. There's discussion on how to upgrade/downgrade, but that's about it...nothing on how to maintain card information on a per-group basis (vs per-account), when renewal notifications are sent, what happens if a card fails, etc.

Is this captured somewhere else? If not, could we beef this up somewhere in the Owner's Manual?

Thanks,
Bruce


Re: Suggestion for the less-savvy users

Nina E
 

Thanks for the suggestions in this topic (and my apologies for taking this long to address them). Mark handles the content on the initial landing pages in the Help Center. He's updated the "View as a single page" and "View a PDF version" items at the top of those pages to include some info, wordsmithed by Yours Truly, about using the Find feature in web browsers and PDF readers.

- Nina


Include reference to Special badge #suggestion

Andy Wedge
 

Hi Nina,

In the Owner's Manual I cannot see any reference to the Special badge which appears next to a pending message:



Regards
Andy


Re: Missing +1 email command (Like) info from the User Manual #suggestion

 

I’m aware of the removal of the minuses. I was talking about -1 just to Unlike (via email) a Like, which you can currently do only on the site. And I was half-joking.


On Jun 13, 2021, at 2:44 PM, Andy Wedge <andy_wedge@...> wrote:

On Sun, Jun 13, 2021 at 09:39 PM, J_Catlady wrote:
Also: why is there not a -1 feature to Unlike something? You could suggest it in beta. :-)
It was discussed back in 2019 on Beta

Andy


Re: Missing +1 email command (Like) info from the User Manual #suggestion

Andy Wedge
 

On Sun, Jun 13, 2021 at 09:39 PM, J_Catlady wrote:
Also: why is there not a -1 feature to Unlike something? You could suggest it in beta. :-)
It was discussed back in 2019 on Beta

Andy


Re: Missing +1 email command (Like) info from the User Manual #suggestion

 

Also: why is there not a -1 feature to Unlike something? You could suggest it in beta. :-)


On Jun 13, 2021, at 1:37 PM, J_Catlady via groups.io <j.olivia.catlady@...> wrote:

Nope. :-)


On Jun 13, 2021, at 12:25 PM, Christos G. Psarras <christos@...> wrote:



OK then, let's compromise; just add only text :)


On 2021-06-13 15:04, J_Catlady via groups.io wrote:
Christos,
I'll go further. I actually think adding those extra words would create, rather than remove, confusion.:-(

On Sun, Jun 13, 2021 at 11:56 AM Christos G. Psarras <christos@...> wrote:

I agree 100%, it's technically correct, but on the other hand, my experience has taught me that when dealing with users of all levels of knowledge (or common sense), it pays to be explicit/precise.

Cheers,
Christos


On 2021-06-11 14:20, J_Catlady via groups.io wrote:
I think “the text” implies clearly enough that it’s the only text.



Re: Missing +1 email command (Like) info from the User Manual #suggestion

 

Nope. :-)


On Jun 13, 2021, at 12:25 PM, Christos G. Psarras <christos@...> wrote:



OK then, let's compromise; just add only text :)


On 2021-06-13 15:04, J_Catlady via groups.io wrote:
Christos,
I'll go further. I actually think adding those extra words would create, rather than remove, confusion.:-(

On Sun, Jun 13, 2021 at 11:56 AM Christos G. Psarras <christos@...> wrote:

I agree 100%, it's technically correct, but on the other hand, my experience has taught me that when dealing with users of all levels of knowledge (or common sense), it pays to be explicit/precise.

Cheers,
Christos


On 2021-06-11 14:20, J_Catlady via groups.io wrote:
I think “the text” implies clearly enough that it’s the only text.



Re: Missing +1 email command (Like) info from the User Manual #suggestion

 

OK then, let's compromise; just add only text :)


On 2021-06-13 15:04, J_Catlady via groups.io wrote:
Christos,
I'll go further. I actually think adding those extra words would create, rather than remove, confusion.:-(

On Sun, Jun 13, 2021 at 11:56 AM Christos G. Psarras <christos@...> wrote:

I agree 100%, it's technically correct, but on the other hand, my experience has taught me that when dealing with users of all levels of knowledge (or common sense), it pays to be explicit/precise.

Cheers,
Christos


On 2021-06-11 14:20, J_Catlady via groups.io wrote:
I think “the text” implies clearly enough that it’s the only text.



Re: Missing +1 email command (Like) info from the User Manual #suggestion

 

Christos,
I'll go further. I actually think adding those extra words would create, rather than remove, confusion.:-(

On Sun, Jun 13, 2021 at 11:56 AM Christos G. Psarras <christos@...> wrote:

I agree 100%, it's technically correct, but on the other hand, my experience has taught me that when dealing with users of all levels of knowledge (or common sense), it pays to be explicit/precise.

Cheers,
Christos


On 2021-06-11 14:20, J_Catlady via groups.io wrote:
I think “the text” implies clearly enough that it’s the only text.


Re: Missing +1 email command (Like) info from the User Manual #suggestion

 

I agree 100%, it's technically correct, but on the other hand, my experience has taught me that when dealing with users of all levels of knowledge (or common sense), it pays to be explicit/precise.

Cheers,
Christos


On 2021-06-11 14:20, J_Catlady via groups.io wrote:
I think “the text” implies clearly enough that it’s the only text.


Re: Missing +1 email command (Like) info from the User Manual #suggestion

 

I think “the text” implies clearly enough that it’s the only text.


On Jun 11, 2021, at 10:47 AM, Christos G. Psarras <christos@...> wrote:



Hi Nina,

Awesome!  It works great!

I do have a (pedantic?) suggestion though, I'd personally enhance this:

... +1 or the word like as the text of your reply...

to

... +1 or the word like as the only or first line text of your reply...

The only reason I suggest that is to head-off anyone possibly inserting the +1/Like into any other position, which I don't know if it would work; I didn't test that but I suspect it probably won't*.  When I did my two like reply tests, I did not trim the quoted text (on purpose) but I did place the +1/Like at the top.  Someone may insert a +1/Like under a specific paragraph to indicate they like that part resulting in an unwanted message posted to the group, you never know.

* just as I was getting ready to click Send on this reply, it just occurred to me, I can use this reply to test if it works in any other position, hence these two lines:

+1
Like

Cheers,
Christos


Re: Missing +1 email command (Like) info from the User Manual #suggestion

 

Confirmed, it doesn't work if it's not the only text, or at the top of the reply if quoted/other text exists.

>>> * just as I was getting ready to click Send on this reply, it just occurred to me, I can use this reply to test if it works in any other position, hence these two lines:

Cheers,
Christos


Re: Missing +1 email command (Like) info from the User Manual #suggestion

 

Hi Nina,

Awesome!  It works great!

I do have a (pedantic?) suggestion though, I'd personally enhance this:

... +1 or the word like as the text of your reply...

to

... +1 or the word like as the only or first line text of your reply...

The only reason I suggest that is to head-off anyone possibly inserting the +1/Like into any other position, which I don't know if it would work; I didn't test that but I suspect it probably won't*.  When I did my two like reply tests, I did not trim the quoted text (on purpose) but I did place the +1/Like at the top.  Someone may insert a +1/Like under a specific paragraph to indicate they like that part resulting in an unwanted message posted to the group, you never know.

* just as I was getting ready to click Send on this reply, it just occurred to me, I can use this reply to test if it works in any other position, hence these two lines:

+1
Like

Cheers,
Christos


Re: Missing +1 email command (Like) info from the User Manual #suggestion

 

Me neither!


On Fri, Jun 11, 2021 at 9:13 AM Andy Wedge <andy_wedge@...> wrote:
On Fri, Jun 11, 2021 at 02:29 PM, Nina E wrote:
In the Members Manual, I added a topic called Using the Like feature under Working with group messages.
Well, I didn't know you could use the word 'like' instead of +1.  It's always good to learn something new.

Andy


Re: Missing +1 email command (Like) info from the User Manual #suggestion

Andy Wedge
 

On Fri, Jun 11, 2021 at 02:29 PM, Nina E wrote:
In the Members Manual, I added a topic called Using the Like feature under Working with group messages.
Well, I didn't know you could use the word 'like' instead of +1.  It's always good to learn something new.

Andy

21 - 40 of 355