Re: Overall style points

Marv wrote:

I am not a big fan of elaborate numbering systems in living documents.
I'll agree for the online (HTML) document; some form of permalinks to the headings would be ideal for citation.

Numbers look nice, but I've been misled by them too often to like
them.
For the PDF, which one might print, a human-readable heading identifier would be my preference. And my favorite of those is simple header level numbering (e.g. 1, 1.1, 1.2, 2, 2.1, 2.1.1, 2.1.2, 2.2, 3, ...). If the headings are styled in a way that makes those stand out then it is easy to skim through the pages and keep track of where you are.

I recognize that the difficulty in those two use cases would be in finding a way to author both styles from a single source document, given the authoring tool at hand.

Shal