Re: mysterious “Your email is hosted by Gmail” note

I think this is more a question for the GMF group, but basically groups.io is modifying the look of your email address to account for something called DMARC, which is a technical issue affecting gmail and yahoo mail (and possibly some others - I'm not sure). So no, it's not just gmail.

You are receiving an email back for the emails you send because you have your account set to "always receive copies of my own emails." It has nothing to do with the DMARC problem or the munging of your email. You can turn that setting off, but your email address will still be munged because of DMARC.